Style

Five Things You NEED To Nail The Clean Girl Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you have TikTok, chances are you are already well aware of the “clean girl” aesthetic that has taken the world by storm. I have to say, I’m really not mad about it.

It’s an opportunity to take a minimalistic approach to hair, makeup and outfits — and I’m completely here for it. Plus, who doesn’t like to save some time in the morning and still look super trendy, comfortable and cute?

Glow RECIPE Watermelon Niacinamide Dew Drops

One of the most staple, iconic aspects of the clean girl aesthetic is dewy skin. The watermelon niacinamide dew drops are the perfect addition to any skincare routine to add just the right amount of glow.

They are on the pricey side, but the bottle is a pretty good size, weighing in at 1.35 fl oz for the regular size bottle. On the bright side, it has a pump, which makes for a super smooth application. I favor a pump over droppers any day to avoid risk of contamination. 

10/10 for this guy.

Watermelon Niacinamide Dew Drops

Aussie Instant Freeze Hair Gel

This one’s obvious, but a slicked back bun is a must. Aussie’s Instant Freeze 20 Hour Hold gel is amazing for getting those pesky baby hairs to stay down.

I find that this gel is great for holding my hair for just the right amount of time. I don’t want my hair feeling too crunchy, and many gels have a tendency to do just that. This gel keeps your hair feeling like actual hair, all while keeping it secure and in place. Plus, you can’t beat the amazing price.

Well done Aussie!

Aussie Instant Freeze 20 Hour Hold Hair Gel

Basic Cropped Tees / Tanks

Seriously, you can never go wrong with a simple, basic tee or tank. Timeless and always trendy are just a few ways to describe the love I have for this look. Cropped is a plus too, especially with a cute high-waisted pair or sweats.

Target is my go-to for tees, they have the best basics by Wild & Fable for just $5! I might have them in every single color by now.

As for tanks, I really haven’t found one I like more than Aritzia’s Babaton Sculpt Knit Scoopneck Cropped Tank. It’s perfect. Very pricy, but the quality is all there.

I think of these basics as investments. For some pieces, it’s just worth spending that little extra bit for a better quality, staple piece. 

Women’s Short Sleeve Cropped T-Shirt – Wild Fable™

Sculpt Knit Scoopneck Cropped Tank

UGG Ultra Mini

I need these in every single color. If I can afford it, I would. My little fifth grade self was absolutely ecstatic once these boots came back in style — and I couldn’t be happier they did.

They are so versatile. Dress them up or down, wear them with sweats and your hair in a bun, or with a pair of wide leg ripped jeans and a cute cropped turtleneck.

What other pair of shoes can do that? All while being this comfy AND so cute? Sign me up.

Classic Ultra Mini

Wide Leg / flare Pants

I never thought I’d see the day where I said, “Sh*t. Why did I throw away all of my wide leg yoga pants?”

For real, I just did this a few years ago. And last year, there I was at Aerie, spending $80 on just two pairs of flare yogas. I think it was at that moment when the saying about how fashion recycling happens roughly every 20 years, really sank in.

My seventh grade self was happy. My highschool self would have said I’m insane. My college self was just happy to find something cute and comfy.

Score. 

OFFLINE by Aerie Real Me High Waisted Crossover Flare Legging

Women’s High-Rise Wide Leg French Terry Sweatpants – Wild Fable™

You really don’t need all of these things to be trendy and cute. Not at all. Feel free to add your own spin on these trends and make them yours. Think of this list as just a start to your clean girl aesthetic journey.

Good luck and remember to wear your socks with those Uggs. Trust me.

Allison is a senior at Penn State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, you can catch her cooking, making coffee, reading or staying updated while watching her favorite YouTube vloggers.