Career > Her20s

Five Lessons Friends Have Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether it is a conclusion of binging “Sex and the City” every night or Pluto’s recent shift into Aquarius, I have been fixated on the idea of having a solid, well-knit group of girlfriends in my early 20s.

These friendships are crucial, as I have had the ability to learn more about myself, the world and how to navigate my way through it.

For me, a lot of my closest friends live about a three-hour drive from me.

This can make it frustrating at times when I just want to knock on their door, sit on the floor of their bedroom and just talk for hours.

However, it helps me realize how fortunate I am when eagerness floods my body as something good happens and I finally get to dial one of their phone numbers.

My problems are theirs and their achievements are mine. I truly feel blessed every day with these woman as my backbone through my journey of growing up.

Here are the top five lessons my sisters from other misters have taught me, even if they don’t know it yet.

Life is only stingy if you are

Putting others first is crucial in a friendship. It can not always be the same person picking up the tab, initiating the phone calls and putting your needs before theirs.

Strictly thinking of yourself in situations can lean towards miscommunication, dishonesty and feelings of neglect. Your friends are your chosen family; treat them like one!

FOMO does not exist

FOMO is the fear of missing out. Taking care of yourself and doing the things necessary to be your best version is much more fulfilling than spending a night out, if that is not what you are into.

P.S. You’ll know you have a true friend if they ditch their plans to stay in on the couch with you anyway!

Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Distance can make friendships feel refreshing. Each time I talk to a friend, there is always new tea to spill, news to share and valuable advice to be given about something.

Friendships require balance and forgiveness. Give your long distance bestie a call, you both will benefit from it.

Take it easy once in a while

Life is stressful, however stress has the ability to be managed. My close friends always remind me to dedicate time to myself each day to relax, remember and reflect on my day.

This is a chance for a calm mind and to have something to look forward to at the end of each day.

Taking Risks lead to good stories

Yes, I know. Cliche. However, it’s true.

Life is about the views you have seen, the knowledge you obtain and the people you meet along the way.

Friends pushing us to take risks puts us closer to goals and where we need to be in life; kind of like blessings in disguise.

There are thousands of lessons I could have shared that each friend has taught me, but these ones are worth living up to every single day.

I feel so lucky to have learned these lessons from the special bonds I have in my life. I hope they can be helpful to you, too!

Emily Gladu is a fourth-year studying Advertising and Business at Penn State University. In her free time, you will find Emily watching any Philadelphia sports team or catching a flight to her next adventure! She loves to catch up on the latest fashion trends & discover new music!