Style > Beauty

5 Techniques I Learned From Watching Vogue Beauty Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I just finished watching “73 Questions with Kendall Jenner” and saw that she had participated in another Vogue video, this time taking us through her basic makeup routine. After I watched Kendall, I was inspired to watch Hailey Bieber and Emma Chamberlain. I soon realized I had spent almost three hours watching celebrities teach me some of the best makeup techniques. 

Below are the techniques I have adopted and have come to live by.

Kendall Jenner taught me that everyone needs a contour stick

A contour stick is the perfect product to bring visibility to your face structure. Your cheekbones, jawline, forehead and nose will thank you. This will help define those features and will truly make a difference in the contours of your face.

Barabra Palvin taught me how to create a perfect lip

A lip pencil can define your lip shape. Outline your lip, color it in and add lipstick. Instead of rubbing your lips together, tap to mix. Apply any excess product to your cheeks to add a pop of color to your face.

Haley Bieber taught me how to make your eyes pop

To make your eyes stand out, apply bronzer to your eyelids. By putting bronzer on your eyelids, you create the perfect “California glow,” as Hailey Bieber might say. Next, add shimmer or leave it matte, both will look amazing.

Lana Condor taught me the perfect rosy cheek

Lana uses Rare Beauty liquid blush along with a “red stain” lipstick. She suggests reapplying concealer, but only under your eyes, to help shape your cheeks so that your blush looks natural. Truly the perfect rosy cheek.

This technique was very helpful for me, especially because I often apply my blush too close to my eyes. Now, instead of removing my makeup and starting all over again, I have learned to utilize concealer to fix it.

Selena Gomez taught me to shine

Selena uses her Rare Beauty luminizer near the top of her cheekbones and around her neck to add shine and brightness to her skin. A little sparkle can go a long way and will make your facial features more prominent.

Gomez shares her story of why makeup is so important to her and opens up about why she created Rare Beauty. To me, she shines because of her positivity and the way she makes others feel. In my opinion, those qualities go way beyond the makeup.

I am continually amazed by all of the new and exciting techniques I learn from celebrities. Although “Vogue Beauty Secrets” allows you to learn more about your skin, it is much more than that. “Vogue Beauty Secrets” allows you to learn more about celebrities and their story. You may find that these women are not that different from you. Everyone has had to work to find the perfect skin care routine and the products that work best for them, which is why it is so helpful to get advice from others.

Thank you, “Vogue Beauty Secrets”, for teaching, growing and inspiring.

McHalea is a freshman at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. She is eager to learn and get involved, as she is also a member of Happy Valley Communications. She loves comedies and spending time with friends and family.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.