This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I hate the way that my dorm microwave is big, black, and boxy – right in the middle of my room. However, I am not one to discount something based on the way it looks on the outside. In the case of this not so physically attractive microwave, it holds so much potential within. It not only heats up your regrettable leftover D.P Dough pizza, but rather holds the potential to warm something so immensely wonderful. 

That something being Trader Joe’s microwavable meals. When homework is a little heavy and exams are coming a little sooner than expected, dorm hibernation is sometimes necessary.  But with hibernation, one must not forgo the satisfaction of a hot meal. No, there may not be time to make it downtown to treat yourself and sit down at a table, or maybe even a trip to the Hub is asking a little much. Enter: Trader Joe’s.  

Sundays are universally deemed as laundry day for most Penn State students. Sundays, however, can also be a time to hop on the bus right to Trader Joe’s on North Atherton. Here, in this wonderland of choices, one can find themselves overwhelmed by all of the options. Since we have already acknowledged that time is tight, I have formulated a list (in no particular order) of my favorite must-have vegan meals, so there is no need to lose time in the mesmerizing aisles of TJ’s.

1. Vegetable Panang curry

The vegetables pack a fresh, crunchy punch.  Whenever my body is calling for its daily serving of veggies, I go right to this dish – so simple, so yet full of flavor. Plus, the warm and fluffy jasmine rice bed is a perfect compliment to the soupy curry.  

YCXB1NG7BijFpIDUx4 bnrNE1WNdJ FinWdpHIxZwSKKk3f LE0GtUekEn9kycO2vMamzRD9sCi3kq5b8vzwDWJRQ2WPUiRI Fd8vlmxQAfJQS 2 E sHlpv9SsOXQ07CvF 1g=s0

2. Vegan tikka masala

When I did eat meat, I would crush the chicken tikka masala, now I crush it vegan style. Whichever you choose, the creamy tomato sauce is full of ginger, turmeric, red chili pepper, and more.  All of the flavors work together harmoniously… if your taste buds could do little flips, they would be gymnasts after eating this meal.

Qn N08 VXNQPPhfdYBLZlhBnC2gr0RYyk3cYG3zrTLOFxHMv3pXm Xy br8ZQbqqRkfhjb 3eqDx1SfgDBi5 WqL0gEbdm4jETY0Z8R 30w

3. Vegetable Biryani

Spicy. Rice. With dumplings. Need I say more? Probably… but if you don’t understand why this sounds amazing, then we may have some things to talk about. Anyway, I love spice. A lot of the time, microwave dinners miss on the spices, not this time. 

wClYY74JV0Jc9kYe5YGUC6DEa2jXOTa S 8GqMQ3ht7B0ehOHSzNac8fdsJuGytIZm2k qxkPNiSmv8fbbMYZslyMs1d RU5DSJiAfNTuLk Nyuc7ZSNE2sQQOTE55j1ZEXjR10=s0

4. yellow jackfruit curry

Mr. Trader Joe is getting extra creative with it. I’ve mentioned how I like spice and this one is spicy.  “My mouth is on fire” kind of spicy. The jackfruit gives the meal a meaty texture, soaking up the flavorful yellow curry. Flavors and textures are there for this one, plus the sweet peppers add a necessary dimension of freshness.  

TwOdTMecMk3KzkpL2riBGsLVdr uRzWpilkebSZJOg9 Qt2k4l SuC4ERUpKuMa6sQ aR FcEWWd3zR1I fQtakCs aNz1OwJCDBOPOLOQQjALQCS2vBGfipHejTJOMc0kyGms=s0

5. riced caulifower bowl

The first time I had this meal, I truly hated it. Luckily for me, I boldly decided to give it a second chance. The flavors are mild, but thanks to the Tahani sauce, it has a tangy kick. The veggies are well marinated and roasted, leaving them with some crunch. Compared to many plant-based microwave meals, this one holds its texture rather than just becoming a bowl of mush.  

zJSVYqypLu37NxIInJxx0hPS770j36oIUV8BWQvQZiGG

Dining hall meals leave a lot to be desired. Luckily, Trader Joe’s has us covered in the quick and delicious meal department. Time crunched student style, of course. Plus, this little list is only the tip of the iceberg of all that TJ’s has to offer. Happy healthy eating!

I am a first year student studying political science. My two loves are cooking and being outside. I love my two pets Winnie, a chocolate lab, and Craig, a beta fish. When I am not studying in my room, you will probably find me outside playing tennis, walking, or doing yoga. I am originally from State College, PA. <3