This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For us college women, Valentine’s Day means a romantic date with the boyfriend or watching cheesy rom-coms while stuffing your face with chocolate and conversation hearts. However, throughout our time on this Earth, our Valentine’s Days have gone through a bit of a transformation. 

Age 7-11

(Photo: Modern Day Mom)

In Elementary School, we were forced to participate in handing out valentines to everyone in the class. This meant going out to the store the week before and buying the little paper valentines with your favorite T.V. or cartoon character on them. Then, on Valentine’s Day Eve, you had to sign a valentine for every single kid in your class, regardless of if they were the biggest bully or your best friend.

Once the day came and all the valentines were properly placed into the “mailbox,” aka a tissue box decorated with doilies and paper hearts, the real drama began. You would then examine every detail of the notes you received. Why did that boy who sat behind you write a heart on your note? Could he possibly have a crush on you? Ew!

Then, you would run home, sort through for the cards with candy and discard the other lame candy-less cards. Only the coolest valentines had candy, obviously. Who doesn’t love a good sugar rush? Bonus points: someone gave you a valentine that was just a signed Fun Dip or a box of conversation hearts.

This forced tradition of giving cards taught us two important life lessons: sometimes you have to be forced to do kind things for people who don’t deserve it, and food is truly the key to people’s hearts.  

Age 12-14

(Photo: Celebrations)

Ah, middle school, also known as every girl’s “awkward stage.” Valentine’s Day was different than in the past because now relationships were a thing, no matter how long it lasted. It was not uncommon for one girl to literally have a new boyfriend every week. If you were dating a boy, Valentine’s Day night probably involved a group date with your boyfriend and “single” girls tagged along.

Dressed to impress with your Abercrombie sweaters and jeans tucked into UGGs, you and your girls piled into one of your mom’s minivans. Obviously you were meeting up with the guys at the movies. After a small debate in the lobby, the boys agreed to see a rom-com the girls chose because they really didn’t care as long as they could get some hand-holding action.

Halfway through the movie, the boy you were sitting next to would awkwardly grab your hand. For the rest of the movie you could no longer pay attention because of what was going on with your hand. Was your hand too sweaty? Were you holding on too hard? Were you not holding on hard enough? Were you a couple now? How were you supposed to keep eating your candy? So. Many. Questions. Finally, the movie would end, you would exchange a forced hug, your hand would be free and you were finally safe in your mom’s minivan.

Age 15-18            

(Photo: WOTV 4 Women)

In high school, dances were always a subject that immediately induced stress, especially the Valentine’s Day dance. First was the question of what in the world you would even wear. After hours of agonizing, you would select a little black dress.

Then came the horrifying thought, “Who am I going to take?” Finally, you worked up the courage to ask your crush, super casually of course, who he was taking. Being a clueless guy, he wouldn’t get the memo that this meant you wanted to go with him and he would probably reply, “I don’t know” or, “I don’t even know if I’m going.” Too nervous to ask him to go with you, you decided just to go with your best guy friend instead.

After getting ready at your best friend’s house and taking endless amounts of pictures of yourselves, you arrived at the dance. The dance itself was always ten times less dramatic than the planning of it all. Dancing in front of your math teacher who was chaperoning just wasn’t that fun.  

Ultimately, after watching the guy you’re secretly in love with flirt with another girl and watching all of the other couples slow dance, you cut out early and went to your best friend’s house. You two filled your faces with ice cream and chocolate, whined about how you’d be forever alone and watched rom-coms with Ryan Gosling in them. After all, isn’t that what best friends are there for?

As collegiettes, we are grateful for these experiences because they taught us that boys may come and go but Netflix, chocolate and wine are forever.

Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

HCXO <3

Kelsie Ahern is a Sophomore at Penn State majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Art History. She has a love for everything fashion, french bull dogs, and a good brunch.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.