2014 Homecoming Queen Kenya Crawford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Year: Senior

Major: Human Development and Family Studies 

Minors: Psychology, Sexuality & Gender Studies 

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA 

HC: So, I know for a fact that you are the epitome of a college Wonder Woman because you truly do it all. Could you give us a breakdown of what organizations and clubs you are in and what your positions are?

KC:

President: Keep a Child Alive 

Resident Assistant: Ally House

Research Assistant: Family Relationships Project

Facilitator: Straight Talks Panel

Board Member: Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity

General Body Member: National Council of Negro Women

Ronald E McNair Scholars Post Baccalaureate

National Residence Hall Honorary 

Health and Human Development Honor Society 

…trust me is sounds a lot worse than it really is!

HC: What was your most rewarding achievement while here at Penn State?

KC: My most rewarding experience would be when I was crowned as the 2014-2015 Homecoming Queen. While being named the first queer and fifth African American queen, I had the opportunity to shed light on so many organizations on campus.  

HC: Can you tell me a little more about “Keep a Child Alive” and your experience as the program’s president?

KC: While serving as the president, I have had the opportunity to work alongside several individuals who are also passionate about educating the community, fostering discussion and fundraising for children and families affected by HIV/AIDS in countries like Africa and India. With this position, I’ve also had the opportunity to represent the Penn State Chapter of Keep a Child Alive in Cape Town, South Africa as a counseling intern. While abroad, I lead educational interventions on sexuality, gender role and body image to young girls between the ages of 13-18 years old. 

HC: Seeing as you have a vast amount of success acquiring leadership positions and special honors, what kind of advice would you give an underclassman that aspires to stand out in future years here at Penn State?

KC: Make sure your involvements speak to your passions and future aspirations. With hundreds of organizations, it’s easy to spread yourself thin. So make sure each one of your involvements assists you in gaining the skills you wish to acquire. 

HC: We all know balancing a hectic schedule can get difficult… how do you manage being a full-time student with extracurricular involvement? 

KC: Prioritizing is key! Beware of your limits and remember the importance of self-care. You won’t be able to change the world if you aren’t mentally healthy. 

HC: Do you ever have time to unwind and relax?

KC: While my time is extremely limited, I do try to make time to relax. Usually this is spent doing yoga or hanging out with friends. 

HC: Do you plan on furthering your education beyond undergrad?

KC: Yes! I’m planning on pursing graduate school for Counseling Psychology. 

HC: What is your dream job?

KC: My “dream job” actually doesn’t exist at the moment. I aspire to expand the United Nations Women’s Department to include projects focusing on providing LGBTQ equity throughout the world. 

HC: Ok so I need to know… since you are constantly attending dinners, conferences and ceremonies, you must have to have quite the wardrobe. What is your go-to store to buy last-minute outfits?

KC: Hmm, for a last-minute outfit I’d run to Clothes Mentor – a shop that has affordable business wear!  

HC: What will you miss most about Penn State after you graduate?

KC: I think I will miss Penn State’s dedication to social justice. Whenever there is a social issue either within our community or affecting our nation, I know there will be some sort of protest, fundraiser or educational program. Hopefully, wherever I relocate to, I will have the opportunity to surround myself with several social activists. 

Jessica Paugh is a junior at the Pennsylvania State University, University Park. Jessica majors in Elementary Education and is currently minoring in Human Development and Family Studies. She was born and raised in Danville, Pennsylvania, where her interest in writing and all things literary first blossomed. Jessica fell in love with publications the moment she was chosen to be the editor of her senior yearbook. Among being a contributing writer and secretary for Her Campus PSU, she is an active member in THON, is currently PSU's Lauren Nicole Clothing campus rep, and volunteers weekly for Volunteers in Public Schools. Aside from being actively involved in the Penn State community, Jessica admits to being a chocolate connoisseur as well as an avid Dunkin’ Donuts goer. Follow her on Instagram!jessica_paugh
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.