This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Penn State’s dance maraTHON is fast approaching and our HC writers know that the time to get prepared is now. Take a look at our 2013 THON Survival Guide, no matter what your role.

For the dancers…

By: Kathy Kozak

Dancing in THON is a whole different ball game. For one thing, you don’t even have the option of taking a break – there are no moments, no minutes, or even seconds that you know for sure you will be off your feet. It is 46 hours devoted to and For The Kids and once you stand, you have entered a non-stop journey, that many former dancers dub “the best weekend of their lives.” For those of you who have been honorably selected to dance for the kids it can be an extremely overwhelming time. From one dancer to another- here are some good tips:

1.   At least 2 weeks prior to THON, get a great new pair of sneakers! Places like Rapid Transit downtown are pros when it comes to the best type of shoes to fit your unique feet. An added bonus? These guys offer 10 percent off anything for THON!

2.  Devote a lot of time to stretching. Make your body more flexible than ever and prepare your muscles for the weekend.

3.  Get some sleep! You’ll appreciate devoting at least the week before THON to sleep probably at around the 30th hour when your hallucinating visions of your bed.

4.   Eat well. This does not limit you to healthy salads. Get tons of protein and carbs in your system.

5.  Mentally prepare. Too often we talk about physical preparations. But what you really need to pay attention to is your mental endurance. I have found that watching inspirational videos and reading stories from four diamonds families has really helped to pump me up for the weekend.

Most of all, have fun! This is an experience like no other and one that you will probably never have again. So, take it all in and enjoy every single second.

For the Moralers…

By: Torri Singer

First of all, let me say congratulations on being a part of THON! Sometimes, because THON has such a big presence at Penn State, we don’t realize what a privilege it is to be a part of this incredible network of people that actually make a difference in the lives of children and in the enormous task of funding pediatric cancer research. At this age where it’s certainly easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and choose selfishness, those involved in THON choose to help enrich the lives of others. This is a beautiful thing. Now on to the survival-guide stuff, the how-to be the best you so you can help to the fullest of your ability when the countdown to THON is in single digits (wasn’t it just yesterday that we had the 100 Days Celebration???). This section will focus on Morale, because this is where my experience lies, though I am sure that a lot of what I say is applicable to all of the other amazing committees that make up THON. I truly commend and admire you all.

1. Planning prevents poor performance

Because you will be on the floor for a good amount of time, you need to preplan. Yes, organization will be your best friend in the world this weekend.  Take a few hours pre-THON to divide the fantastic bubble wands, tennis balls, bottles of baby powder, and meticulously decorated dancer mail into plastic bags according to your shifts. The same goes for snacks that you are packing yourself (may I suggest foods high in energy like granola bars and fruit – save the Pokey Sticks for another weekend). This way, you don’t need to be scrambling in between shifts to find that glittery crown or the Dora the Explorer coloring book your dancer is anticipating. It’s all there, safe and sound, waiting for you to scoop up on your way out the door.

2. The buddy system (you’ve graduated from a kiddie leash, but you’re not flying solo yet buster)

Be in communication with other committee members, this is crucial. Every year, someone sleeps through their alarm. Hey, it happens. You haven’t had caffeine coursing through your veins for quite some time, you are running on limited sleep, and your warm bed is so dangerously inviting at 4:26 a.m. after you’ve sprinted back from the BJC in the 15 degree weather and inhaled a PB & J. But the key is, you need to have a good enough backup system to ensure that your bed doesn’t suck you into a black hole vortex that leaves everyone in your committee on the struggle bus because you are holding up the works. Try to go home in small groups, so you can be together during your off-shifts, use multiple iPhone alarms (yes, even the obnoxious fog horn one… especially the obnoxious fog horn one) and get back to the floor early, rather than on time – or worse, late.

3. Put on your “mom jeans”

Be flexible, THON weekend is 46 hours full of the unexpected. You are essentially in Mom mode, you’re caring for another human being and their needs, their fragile emotional state, playing the “when was the last time you hydrated” game, the whole shebang. Dancers are expending every bit of themselves physically, and mentally THON weekend, so don’t feel shy about keeping tabs on them – it’s easy for them to lose track. At the same time, know when to give them space, you need to establish a balance, and after getting to know them, you will. You need to be able to be up when your dancer needs you up, and mellow when your dancer needs peace and quiet. Accommodate them, be their safe place, listen if they need to vent about their aching feet (or better yet, dish out a fabulous foot rub), and be inventive if there is a 2:30 a.m. lull and they seem to be fading fast. Make sure that you’ve given them some creative activities for when you’re off shift (not that they know what time it is when you do disappear, because you totally snatched their phone and it’s now running on Zimbabwe’s time zone, smooth thinkin’) so that they’re occupied. Think, scavenger hunt – this is a great way to get your dancer interacting with new people and moving their feet while you’re not there to (lovingly) badger them about stretching!

4) FINALLY: Take it in

Lastly, enjoy your time. This seems so basic and you’re probably reading this thinking, well “DUHH thanks for that nugget of knowledge!” But really, these 46 hours only come once a year, and it is truly an indescribable experience. It’s a chance for many of us to meet and interact with the families and children who we are so dedicated to for the first time all year. The names you’ve read about, the faces you’ve become familiar with through inspiration read at your weekly meetings – it all actualizes right before your eyes during the middle of dreary February, in tiny State College, Pa., and it’s magical. It’s a swirl of laughter, smiles, tears, color, and love. THON is more than 46 hours to them, THON is a celebration of life, a representation of their fight, an escape, and a chance for them to be kids. So while you chant FTK in the stands or on the floor, remember to soak in what that means. Because regardless of the total that we’re all holding our breath for, the kids don’t care about that. The kids are just grateful to be there, to dance. Make sure you are, too! 

For those celebrating in the stands…

By: Simone Paklaian

So you are not a moraler, you are not on a specific THON committee and you’re not dancing. You are planning a weekend in the stands, and that is not to say it won’t be the most amazing weekend of your life. Whether you are in Greek life, a special interest organization, or just stopping by to watch, here are a few tips on how to make life in the THON stands as best it can possibly be.

1. These shoes are made for dancin’

Just because you are not dancing and will not be on the floor the whole time, make sure you are well-rested because once you step foot in the BJC you are not sitting down either. Wear shoes that you feel comfortable in and even bring an extra pair to change into if you are going to stay at THON for a long stretch of time. Bring tennis balls to roll around on your feet! Since you are in the crowded stands, there is a good chance you won’t be moving around as much as the people on the floor and those kankles and flat feet are going to start to appear after a few hours. Take those shoes off for a bit and let your feet and ankles breathe and use a tennis ball to stop your arch from collapsing. If you feel like that isn’t helping, ask someone to save your spot and go walk around outside the stands because the change of scenery might help get your mind off your feet.

2.  Here’s my number, so call me maybe?

Since you will not have specific time slots that you need to be at THON (unless your organization assigns them) it is extremely important to have a buddy that will call to wake you up when you want to get back at the BJC. Plan these times beforehand so you know exactly who will be calling you and offer to call them also if they aren’t awake. You will completely regret sleeping through that alarm – or the seven consecutive ones you set – because THON only comes once a year.  If you feel like someone who is also attending THON cannot be trusted (they might sleep too much, too), call someone from home and ask them to call you if its during a reasonable time. Also, if someone lives near you, plan to walk back and forth with them. Though a lot of people will be out and about at all hours of the night, it is still scary to be venturing home alone at 2:30 a.m. so find someone to go with you. That way there, you have someone to be accountable to and more of a reason to not hit snooze when that alarm starts buzzing.

3. Come on Lions PUMP IT UP!

Let them hear you roar!! Often times, the dancers look to the stands for support. They are getting tired, are in a lot of pain and have seen the same people around them for the last few hours. So they look up to you for some entertainment. You have to be excited for them. Can you imagine being on the floor, looking up into a group of thousand who have, in fact, gotten to shower and sleep, and they all look dull, tired or bored? That would be such a spirit crusher. Every time one of those seven hundred odd people tilts their head to look into the stands, you should be going crazy. Let them know you are there to support them and help them out through the weekend. Get your rest before the weekend too, so that you can be dancing just as much as those dancers and keep them going with your high spirit.

______________________________________________________________________

According to thon.org, the Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon, affectionately known as THON, is a yearlong effort to raise funds and awareness for the fight against pediatric cancer. The year culminates with a 46 hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon known as THON Weekend. This event is held at Penn State’s Bryce Jordan Center each year in the month February. In 2012, THON raised a record-breaking $10.68 million and was able to donate 96 percent of funds raised directly to the Four Diamonds Fund. Since 1977, THON has raised more than $89 million for the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. THON 2013 will take place from February 15th-17th, 2013 at Penn State’s Bryce Jordan Center.

How to: Donate now

Photo Credit 

My name is Simone Roseanne Paklaian. I'm a junior at Penn State who loves fashion, music and living a worry free life.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.
Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.