The 2012 Holiday Gift Guide For the Collegiette on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We’re all college students, so we get it. You’re pretty much broke. Once the holidays roll around, it may seem rough to reach into your semi-empty wallet, but we still have to show our family and friends some lovin’. Freaking out about last minute, semi-cheap holiday gifts? Have no fear. HerCampus is here to help you with kick-ass gift ideas that will be easy on your bank account and while making Santa look like a rookie.

For your friends: If you’re over 21, a bottle of wine. You can’t go wrong. What girl doesn’t love a cozy night in enjoying wine, a movie and great snacks with her friends? Exactly. In fact, if you want to take it a step further, get the whole package. Grab some cheap, fun snacks, rent a movie (maybe a holiday one to get in the spirit) and top it off with her favorite vino. Perfect single girls’ night (which, if you’re not and still struggling on boyfriend gift ideas, see below).

If you’re not 21, bring the spa to her. Try putting together a package including a nail polish or two, exfoliators, and lotions. Whether she likes manicures, pedicures, facials, or all of the above, include whatever you feel is necessary to make her feel her best. Everyone loves to feel rejuvenated once and a while, especially when winding down after the heavy school workload and keeping up with social life all fall semester. She’ll feel brand new, and won’t need a $200 spa bill to prove it, all thanks to you.

For your boyfriend: Tickets, tickets, tickets. Rather than giving him another shirt, bottle of cologne, etc. (we know where this is going), take him to an event you guys can enjoy together. We know what you’re thinking: tickets = money. This definitely does not have to be the case. Especially at PSU, concerts and sporting events are often free and if not, at a discounted price. For PSU sporting events, head here to check out team schedules and tickets. Sports not your guys thing? Check out what the Student Programming Association has in store for concerts and other entertainment. If you want, make a night out of it. Grab a quick dinner then head to the game or show. Having a great night like this is something you two will share and remember. Enjoying each other’s company at a special event is an original and meaningful gift in our book, and your man will most definitely appreciate it.

For your parents: Most likely your parents are busy running around between work, kids and the usual hustle and bustle of everyday adult life (can’t wait…). So, allow them to have a night on the town and forget about kids, work and bills, on you. Get $20 or $30 dollars and get your parents a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants. Sure the money probably won’t cover the whole bill, but they will still love you for it and appreciate the gesture. Allowing them to get out and enjoy themselves (although to us as college students is pretty routine) is something they probably rarely get to do. Giving them a night to relax will show your appreciation for all they do and even score you some brownie points.

For more fun and easy gift ideas, check out the Her Campus 2012 Holiday Gift Guide on Pinterest!

Photo Credit: Gift Tree

Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.