14 DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts Everyone Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, many have been struggling with finding the perfect gift for their boo.  Instead of buying something from the store, personalize your gift by making it yourself. Here are 14 DIY gift ideas you can make for those you love!

Scrapbook

Make a scrapbook of your favorite memories together from throughout the years. Print out the photos you love, and add stickers or mementos of different special moments from your relationship. Your partner will appreciate the thought that went into this gift idea. Plus, you will be able to reminisce about the past leading up to the holiday of love. 

Homemade Cookies

Get in the kitchen and whip up some homemade cookies and treats. Put them in a cute tin or container to keep them safe. Once you are done, wrap the box in a big, red bow!

“100 Things I Love About You” Jar

Cut up colorful papers: preferably red, white, and pink sheets. Then, write your favorite memories of the person you love on the slips of paper, and put them in a mason jar. Everyday, your partner can pull a note out of the jar and be reminded of why you love them.

Personalized Mug

Get a plain white mug from the store and make designs or messages on the outside with a sharpie. To make the designs permanent, heat them in the oven for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Personalized Pillar Candles

To transfer a photo onto a candle, you first need to print the image onto tissue paper. Trim the printed photo to the desired shape or size you need. Wrap the tissue paper around the candle, and then cover it with a layer of extra wax paper.

Next, you need to heat the image using a heat gun or blow dryer. Make sure the paper layers are secure and tight against the candle. Finally, carefully peel off the wax paper and enjoy a cute, personalized candle!

Scavenger Hunt

Plan a scavenger hunt around the city to places you two have pleasant memories together. Make DIY clue cards that they receive after making it to each destination. You could even make this a date night if you wanted to complete the hunt together!

Picture Canvas Collage

Gather your favorite photos and carefully organize them onto a canvas. Printing these photos in black and white will give the project an old-timey feel. 

Glue them in their desired locations and cover the board with Mod Podge to keep the photos in perfect condition. This also gives the collage a more finished look. Now, they will have a piece of wall art to remind them of you and your relationship.

Flip Book Using Playing Cards

Get a deck of cards and put two hole punches into each card in the set. Then, type up little messages to your partner on the computer. Print them out and cut them in a uniform shape. To finish off the gift, glue the messages to the side of each card, and use rings to secure all the cards together.

Frame a Map

Purchase a nice map, or print one out from online. Mark locations on the map that constitute memorable parts of your relationship. For instance, put a heart where you went on your first date or circle the location you first met. Once you make all the personalized markings, put the map in a picture frame and wrap it up until Valentine’s Day.

Handwrite “Open When” Letters

Handwrite letters for different situations, and mark each envelope with instructions on when to open them. For example, make a letter saying what you’d want them to know if they were having a hard day or were feeling lost. 

Put all of these letters in a box, and give it to him so he will always have your encouraging words.

String Art

Put nails into a piece of wood canvas in the shape of a heart. Then, use red string to wrap around the nails, consequently filling in the heart shape. This makes for a cute decoration that they can put up that will remind them of you.

Scrabble Art

Get Scrabble pieces and form a collage of words that mean a lot to both of you. Write out phrases like “love” and “forever” with the pieces on a canvas or piece of cardstock. Make sure to glue and frame the finished product!

Snow Globe

Get a container, like a mason jar, and fill it with a special photo or special pieces. Add some shimmery glitter into it, and glue the container shut.

Traditional Homemade Valentine

Nothing can beat the classics! What’s more heartfelt than a hand-cut Valentine?

I hope this list helps you prepare for Valentine’s Day. I wish you a day full of love and happiness!

Julia is a Penn State student double majoring in English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, writing, and volunteering with Relay for Life in her free time.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.