10 Wicked Ways to Get into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Yes, the “wicked” pun was intended. With Halloween just a week away, here are some ways to get into the spooky spirit.

1. Carve pumpkins

There are a ton of options for what you can carve a pumpkin into — plus, think of the ensuing pumpkin mess as a “bonding” experience for you and your roommate. Whether or not you create one based on your school pride is up to you.

2. Roast pumpkin seeds

Believe it or not, the seeds from a pumpkin can be much more than just a disgusting hassle. Take them out of the rest of the pumpkin goo, soak them for a while to clean them off, then dry them thoroughly and roast them on a baking sheet at 350 F. Adding Sea salt and olive oil will only make them better.

3. Buying and eating all of the candy. Take advantage of discount prices like the money-savvy college student you are.

Sometimes, you need chocolate — and a lot of it. 50 percent off is just a bonus! No explanation necessary.

4. Watch the Halloween classics

Whether you like horror films like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th, or prefer the more lighthearted Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus, Halloween has something for everyone. If you want something more current, check out Scream Queens or Stranger Things.

5. Give costumes to the less fortunate

By donating old costumes to your local Goodwill, you can give others a happy Halloween as well. If you want to do something on a larger scale, try funding or donating to The Halloween Helpers — an organization based around providing Halloween costumes to the less fortunate.

6. Try Halloween-themed makeup

Go as all-out as you want in getting made up for Halloween, but if you want something a little more conservative than cobweb-inspired eye shadow or purple eyeliner, cobweb-themed nails or pumpkin colored nail polish may be a good place to start.

7. Participate in Howl ‘o Ween

What’s a better way to think of a costume than finding one for your pet?

8. Read the Halloween classics

Before (or after) watching all of the Halloween movies you can find, going to the library to revisit classics like Carrie or The Raven is always a good idea. Plus, most Penn Staters agree that the stacks in Pattee are sufficiently creepy enough for Halloween alone.  

9. Decorate!

Even if you only have a dorm door to decorate, this will add style to the hallway. Depending on where you live and what’s allowed, you could go with the classic “Enter all who dare,” cobwebs dangling from the doorway, or bats hanging from the window.  

10. Go on a ghost tour

While the authenticity of these tours may be questionable (or terrifyingly real), going on a “ghost tour” around campus can be a fun date, group event or way to make you glad for that tiny, well-lit dorm room after all.

Photo Credit: 1

Gabrielle Barone is a freshman at Penn State, majoring in Print and Digital Journalism. In addition to HerCampus Penn State, she also writes for Penn State's newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and blogs for the scholarship website Collegexpress. She loves anything with chocolate and peanut butter in it, and reads way too much historical fiction.
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.