10 Thoughts You Have When You’re Home Instead of in Happy Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

(Photo: Pinterest)

So we’ve been back from spring break for a few days and it’s more apparent now than ever before that life in Happy Valley is a whole other world compared to living in your hometown. Ahhh, State College: friends, food, fun and freedom (…and classes, too, of course).

Once you’re here, you get so accustomed to all of the perks of State College that you forget what real life is like. They say “there’s no place like home,” but there really is no place like Happy Valley. I’m sure we have all had at least a few of these thoughts while home on break: 

1. *First day home* “It’s really unacceptable to plan to watch Netflix all day until it’s time to go out? Wow, I really need to get my life together…”

2. “Wait, someone can actually tell me what to do again… UGH. If I start now, I can probably be ready to leave for State in a half hour… fifteen minutes if I run…”

3. “I’m hungry. Why is pizza the only food I can have delivered? Seriously, though. I wonder if McDonald’s or Olive Garden will deliver if I call and beg… I mean, they do deliver in State College after all…”

4. “Will I be judged if I answer the door in my clothes and makeup from the night before?”

5. *Getting dressed for the day* “How do I not wear sweats and yoga pants? …wait, do I even own any real pants?”

6.  “This house is so quiet and everyone is at work. My roommates would never leave me like this… this is like solitary confinement.”

7.  “I actually have to drive somewhere? You know, we really need a Blue Loop around here.”

8.  “Oh, a Penn State shirt!” *desperately holds back yelling ‘WE ARE’ at total strangers*

9. “Well, I might as well head home already. Everything closes so early and there’s what, ONE good bar?  Guess I’ll catch up on my beauty sleep…”

10.  “Why don’t we have our own ‘Willard Preacher’ here?” (JUST KIDDING, no one says that)

You can take a Penn Stater out of Happy Valley, but you can never take the Happy Valley out of the Penn Stater. We Are… Glad to be back (where we belong)!  Only a few more weeks left, collegiettes. So enjoy it, and good luck with the rest of your semester!

HCXO,

HC PSU

Kearsten is a proud Penn State alumna.  She received her B.A. in journalism in May 2015.  During her time at Penn State, she loved editing the work of her fellow writers through her position as the Vice President and Head Editor for Her Campus Penn State.  As far as post-grad life goes... as long as she can write or edit, she is happy!   
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.