Stage and Crowd at THON 2023
Stage and Crowd at THON 2023
Photo by Sophie Yadzinski

10 Songs to Add to Your 2024 THON Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

THON is the world’s largest student-run philanthropy dedicated to helping children and families impacted by childhood cancer.

The annual 46-hour dance marathon will be taking place Feb. 16-18, with it being the 52nd THON (but the 51st year) taking place since 1973. Thousands of people attend THON Weekend each year, and over 16,500 students volunteer hours of their week to ensure that THON is a success.

In 2023, THON raised over $15 million and there’s hope that they can break that record once again in 2024.

THON
Photo by Caroline Kannapell

For attendees, 46 hours may seem like a long time which is why listening to music is one of the best things you can do for your THON experience.

Music is known to make us calmer and refresh our minds, but also is one of the best ways to keep us dancing. THON Weekend is one of the most thrilling and energizing filled events attendees will ever experience, which is why it’s important to have a playlist that will keep you on your feet throughout all of your moods.

Here is some inspo for your next THON playlist.

“don’t stop me now” by queen

Nothing is stopping you this THON Weekend.

Queen is always a go-to when it comes to getting the energy up and hyping yourself up through the 46 hours.

The energy this song brings to listeners’ ears will surely transfer to the dancing of your feet.

“Final Countdown” by europe

This is the perfect song for those final four hours of THON.

The “Final Four” may be one of the hardest parts for attendees and dancers during the weekend, with the tiredness and anticipation growing. But this song can truly push you accomplish hard things.

“ain’t no mountain high enough” by marvin gaye, tammi terrell

An oldie but a goldie.

This song gives the perfect upbeat, lighthearted vibe that we all need this THON Weekend.

When things are getting hard, just listen to Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. Ain’t no mountain too high for you.

“countdown” by Beyoncé

Queen B knew what she was doing when she made this song.

This is the perfect song to dance to with your friends and to enjoy during THON. It seems like Beyoncé can do no wrong so make sure to channel her strong, fierce energy through your dance moves.

“don’t stop believin'” by journey

Never stop believin’ in yourself.

This is one of the many staple songs that’ll be booming in the BJC this weekend. It seems like everyone knows “Don’t Stop Believin'” and it makes the experience of listening to the entire arena scream chilling.

“mr. brightside” by the killers

This is the staple THON song.

“Mr. Brightside” is one of the most known songs when it comes to the college experience, and at Penn State, it’s no different. The entire BJC comes to life every time this anthem is played and it’s an experience like no other.

“pocket full of sunshine” by natasha bedingfield

2023 THON performer,Natasha Bedingfield truly did bring the sunshine to Penn State with her performance.

One of her more well-known songs, “Pocket Full of Sunshine” brings the BJC all of the happy and positive vibes throughout the weekend, and it’s definitely one to add to your playlist.

Bedingfield has become incredibly popular in the past couple months with her association to the film, “Anyone But You,” so it’s no doubt that we will be hearing some of her this weekend.

“don’t stop the music” by rihanna

As we know, Rihanna always brings the beat to the dance floor and her musical presence is a must during THON Weekend.

It’s true, the music almost never stops during THON, so listening to this song is the perfect way to help you maintain your groove.

“i want it that way” by the backstreet boys

It’s a throwback.

This timeless hit by the Backstreet Boys is sure to bring you back to the good ole’ days of pop. “I Want It That Way” brings together the entirety of the BJC and you can hear attendees singing along clear as day.

“year 3000” by the jonas brothers

The Jonas Brothers are honorary Penn Staters at this point.

The trio have played at the BJC numerous times, from making tour stops in Happy Valley to Joe Jonas celebrating his 21st birthday at Champs. Joe and his band DNCE were even the surprise performers at THON 2017.

“Year 3000” is an absolute energizer for THON Weekend, and it’s a blast from the past to many Penn State students and seemed like the song of their childhood.

All in all, THON Weekend can be one of the most challenging things you could do, especially if you’re planning on being there for all 46 hours. Music is good for the soul and keeps the body moving, so make sure to listen to it when times get challenging.

And remember, it’s FTK!

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!