Review: ‘Thor: The Dark World’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

“I think it was the best movie of the year and it was much more enjoyable to watch than the Avengers. I can’t wait for Thor 3 and the Avengers 2 just so I can see Chris Hemsworth one more time.” –Christinger Cabral, Penn State Berks Junior

“As a Marvel comic book nerd myself, it was excellent. Chris Hemsworth is a blond full of yumminess. I also thought Tom Hiddleson was hilarious.” – Brittney Sheedy, Penn State Berks Senior

“Thor: The Dark World is an exciting movie, involving bravery, sacrifice, and multiple twists provided by Tom Hiddleson and Chris Hemsworth. Edge of your seat and breathtaking. A must see for any comic enthusiast.” – Rachel Behler, Northhampton Community College Graduate

“Thor: The Dark World” just hit theaters on Friday and so far it’s got a great average rating of 4.5 by the audience on rottentomatoes.com. This film is rated PG-13 and could appeal to almost any audience. Some may think that this movie is only good for nerdy girls that are into comics, but even if you’re just going to see it with your boyfriend or group of other friends you will still have a good time. There are plenty of elements in the movie that could appeal to almost any girl.

If you are into the whole comic ordeal you’ll love seeing one of your favorite Marvel heroes Thor take on Malekith as he tries to destroy the universe by using an ancient power called the ether. In the story there are 9 worlds that are converging and aligning which gives Malekith the extra edge to try and pull through with his plans. These wormholes are intersecting with one another allowing any object or person to travel about the 9 realms freely.

Also in the story Jane Foster or Thor’s mortal girlfriend becomes infected with the ether making it a race to see who can get to her first, Asgard or Malekith.  When times get tough, Thor does the unthinkable and asks his brother Loki for help. Those of you who know the comics know exactly what this means. For those of you who don’t allow me to explain. Loki is the Norse god of mischief and deceit. He is Thor’s villain and brother and the two don’t get along, but in this movie Malekith has managed to anger Loki as well and both him and Thor team up to save the 9 realms.

Even if you’re not into the whole comic thing, there is still more fun that any girl can enjoy. Many girls will enjoy just gawking at Thor and Loki’s rippling muscles and finely chiseled features. There’s even a scene where Thor has his shirt off and washing himself. As for Loki, girls will love his mysterious and rascally bad boy nature. He will make you laugh as he pesters his brother to no end and make you giggle with his dastardly tricks.

The digital effects in this movie are amazing as well. Asgard, home of the Norse gods, comes alive as a paradise with a beautiful palace, large waterfalls and finely crafted buildings that will leave you in awe and make you wish that you lived there.

Overall, “Thor: The Dark World” will leave you in suspense and send you on multiple twists and turns that will blow your mind leaving gray matter all over the back of the theater wall. It’s a thoroughly entertaining movie that has a little something for everyone. Marvel fans will love it and I definitely recommend checking it out.

Hi, I'm Erin Bradley. Part of your average Her Campus family. I got an editor, a publisher, and . . . a photographer. These are my articles. I wrote them and my photos . . . they found me. About our staff. It writes because we publish all over the world. You see, I write my articles and . . . my editor edits them. Okay, so this bio isn't average, but between you and me something amazing happened . . . and now I can talk to paper! It's pretty cool and totally secret. And you know what? Life will never be the same. [Editor Screams] AHHH!  (My parody of  Wild Thornberry's Intro)
Ashley is a senior professional writing major at Penn State.