How to Avoid the Freshmen 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Ahh, the infamous Freshman 15! Every high schooler is warned by their friends and family after graduation to make sure that they watch their weight once they set foot inside their dorms at the beginning of their first semester, but why is it that every freshman seems to gain weight once they start their college classes? A lot of the weight gain can be attributed to stress and anxiety from moving away from home and their newly-found freedom. Below, you will find some strategies on how to beat the notorious Freshman 15.

It IS a Myth

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics claims that what every freshman fears their first semester isn’t so real after all. “According to a 2011 study published in Social Science Quarterly, freshman students gain 2.5 to 3.5 pounds on average during their first year in college. The Freshman 2.5 isn’t quite as ominous as the Freshman 15, but the same study indicates that even though there isn’t a spike in weight during freshman year, college students gain moderate but steady weight during and after college.” Although this doesn’t mean it’s okay to always eat the chicken tenders offered at Tully’s for every meal, it does mean it’s okay to eat a slice of free pizza at your floor meeting.

Exercise is Medicine

This author is biased on this topic as a Kinesiology major; however, exercise is crucial in maintaining one’s health in college. Not only does it help burn off calories, but it is a great stress reliever; something a lot of students need after all of the exams and papers they have been assigned. Not fond of Beaver Community Center? Try workout videos from Blogilates, Tone it Up, and 6 Pack Shortcuts on YouTube in the privacy of your room. The Insanity and P90X DVDs are also a dorm-room favorite.

Like the outdoors? It’s not too late to go on a run or a brisk walk before the chill of November starts. Make sure to wear layers so you can regulate your body temperature. Professor Helen Hartman, Senior Lecturer of Kinesiology, believes that students should increase the number of steps they walk as a strategy to beat the Freshman 15. “According to the ACSM, everyone needs 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity–going for a walk. That’s about 7,000 steps a day.  I think we should work towards 10,000 steps per day to help with weight loss.  If you want to lose some of the weight you have put on, then 300 minutes per week at moderate intensity which is 60 minutes, 5 times per week.” Get walking!

It’s Not an On-Campus Event Without Free Food

A lot of clubs and organizations offer free food to entice new students to come to their meetings and events. A good strategy is to plan your meals around these meetings. For example, if your organization is meeting during common hour at 1 p.m., eat the free pizza as your free lunch and eat a light dinner to counterbalance the pizza.

Water, Water Everywhere

It doesn’t sound like the most exciting option, but water is crucial to your survival on campus. It helps hydrate your skin, quench your thirst and will help prevent fatigue during class. It’s become more popular now to flavor your water with different fruits. Need a good combo? Cucumber, mint leaves, lemon and orange tastes quite refreshing!

Rethink Your Tully’s Strategy

Not everyone is the world’s biggest fan of Tully’s, but there are some ways to eat healthy at this campus dining location. Every Monday is Sushi Monday, and your meal will be healthy if you choose options without “tempura” or fried fish, mayo or spicy mayo. Tully’s offers prepackaged sandwiches and wraps with whole wheat bread, a salad bar and a deli line with veggies, lean meats and whole wheat bread.

It might be hard to resist the temptation to be unhealthy at school, but with my strategies above, hopefully you will be fit and healthy this school year!

Katie Essel is super senior at Penn State Berks and is a Kinesiology major. She enjoys running on the Cross Country team and loves reading celebrity gossip.
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.