Holiday Activities to do in Berks County this Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, the end of the semester grind. This also means that Christmas and Winter Break are just around the corner! So if you need a stress reliever from all that studying or maybe you want to celebrate when you’re done your finals, grab your friends or family and try some of these fun winter activities that are in the area or nearby!

Christmas Village

William M. Koziar, the creator of Christmas Village, began decorating his home and property in 1948 for his wife and their four children. People appreciated and applauded the beauty of the Koziar home every year and began referring to it as the “Christmas House.”  Mr. Koziar would add new and unique items and light displays to the original layout each year. He began decorating the lake, walkways, trees, fences and buildings, as well as continuingly adding to the barn and house.  By popular demand visitors were granted access on the premises for a closer look. And that is story of how Koziar’s “Christmas House” became known as Koziar’s “Christmas Village.” Starting November 27 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. come see the beauty of Christmas Village for yourself.  For ticket information and directions visit koziarschristmasvillage.com.

Gring’s Mill Holiday Lights

Come check out some local holiday lights at Gring’s Mill Recreation Area. There will be nightly live entertainment through December 23. Hot chocolate and other refreshments will be available for purchase. The event runs from December 5th through the 28th, Wednesdays through Sundays from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Monday and Tuesday, December 22 and 23rd from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. For more information click here.

Santa Bar Crawl

Calling all Santa’s, Mrs. Clauses, Reindeer and Elves! If you are 21 or older, come dress in your finest for West Reading’s First Santa Crawl on December 20th from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. For $15, each person will receive a special pint glass and a discounted beverage at each stop.  Tickets may be purchased in advance at the West Reading Tavern. There will be 125 tickets sold to create 5 groups of 25 people. For more information check out West Reading Tavern’s Facebook page.

The Nutcracker

There is nothing as great as the tradition of seeing The Nutcracker during the holiday season. Come out and see Berks Ballet’s version of The Nutcracker. You can come see Clara, The Mouse King, Sugarplum Fairies, The Nutcracker and so much more! The show runs from Saturday December 20 through the 21st at the Scottish Rite Cathedral in West Reading. For ticketing information and show times visit berksballettheatre.com.

(Source)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s rock opera, The Christmas Attic will be re-released for their upcoming tour. Come see it for yourself January 3rd at the Santander Arena in Reading. For ticket information visit Santander’s website.

Longwood Gardens Christmas

No holiday can be complete without a visit to Longwood Gardens where you can find more than 500,000 twinkling lights and spectacular fountain shows compose a brilliant wonderland your family and friends are sure to enjoy. Timed ticketing offers are available at longwoodgardens.org.

Hershey Christmas Candylane

The magic of the holidays comes to life at Hersheypark this season with two million twinkling lights, rides for all ages, festive decorations, and Hershey’s characters decked out in their holiday best, there will be something fun for all to enjoy. For more information click here.

Nicollette is a Senior at Penn State Berks and a contributing writer for HerCampus. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business. When she isn't busy running with the cross country team you can find her dreaming about traveling the world, reading, doing yoga, binge watching Netflix or eating unhealthy amounts of peanut butter. She hopes to move down South one day working for a major media outlet. If you want to know more about Nicollette you can follow her on Twitter (@nic_biscanti) or Instagram (@nic_biscan)
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.