His Campus: A Classy Guide to Facial Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Dating back to the industrial revolution, men were known for having facial hair. Men of great power had facial hair throughout the years. Men such as Charlie Chaplin, Grizzly Adams, and even the members of ZZ Top were known for their facial hair. But how does facial hair fair in the modern world when it comes to job interviews and dating? We’ll look into the statistics and ask real employers and women how they feel about facial hair. Maybe you can bring back that long curly mustache your great grandfather rocked.

In the business word, whether facial hair is acceptable depends on the job. Many men who have facial hair have their own business, according to Steve Tobak of CBS News. So how does it look when you walk into a job interview with the CEO and his ‘stache? According Tobak, 80 to 90 percent of men without facial hair have a more successful career when climbing the business ladder.

When applying for a job, the first thing the employer will see is your appearance. Coming in with a scraggly beard or a five o’clock shadow may give them the impression that you didn’t put a lot of time or effort into your hygiene that morning. In return, they may think you aren’t taking the job interview seriously. You want to be sure you give them a good first impression. Be yourself, but keep it clean!

Being clean-shaven also makes men appear younger. Although you don’t want to look like a kid in high school, a nice suit and some gel in the hair could help you come across as a young professional. Businesses usually want someone young because they typically have more knowledge about the multi-media world. In this case, looking like you just graduated college with a clean-shaven face could be beneficial. When it comes to facial hair in a job interview, be on the safe side and shave. You’ll have plenty of time to experiment with facial hair fads once you’re hired.

But what about the dating environment? How do men fair when it comes to facial hair and dating? It looks like the women agree with your employers, clean-shaven men are found more attractive by most women. According to askmen.com, women found men with facial hair looked older and more aggressive. However, the Huffington Post says men find facial hair attractive. Contrary to belief in the ‘90s, beards and other types of facial hair are becoming more popular.

However, all men and women are different and prefer different things. So, if your job doesn’t prefer clean-shaven over facial hair, do what you feel comfortable in. Some men and women like dating men that look like lumberjacks or the Monopoly Man. See what works for you and the significant other in your life.

Ashley is a senior professional writing major at Penn State.