Tomi Lahren: Fired For Being Pro-Choice?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Two words, one person. Tomi Lahren.

Even if you don’t watch TV, Twitter videos or anything that has to do with politics or political commentary; I’m willing to bet you still know of her.

At the young age of 24, Tomi is an American, republican, conservative, political commentator (that’s a mouthful – I know). She was a former television and online video host and obtained an education at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Whether you like her or not, her recent dispute with TheBlaze has been all over social media. Many think that she had it coming for all the opinionated things she has said about Trump, human rights, the election and much, much more.

TheBlaze is an American conservative multiplatform (go figure she’d work there) news and entertainment network founded by Glenn Beck. Tomi had her own segment on TheBlaze TV where she voiced her “final thoughts” on literally everything pertinent to the news… or her, at the time.

In March 2017, Tomi was fired from TheBlaze for speaking about her pro-choice opinions when starring as a guest on ABC’s “The View”. She was quoted saying, “I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies.”

http://imgur.com/gallery/x502K

It is no secret that many people don’t like her but whether you do or not, being fired for having your own opinion (which is a constitutional right, might I add) is pretty ridiculous and appalling. TheBlaze is saying that since Lahren was under contract, they can pretty much do what they will and her lawsuit against them is invalid. Oh ok *strongly eye rolls*.

I support her decision to sue TheBlaze for wrongful termination because having an opinion is not a fireable offense. That, to me, is just absurd. TheBlaze may be skewed to certain political stand points, but I would venture to say that constitutional rights (whether agreed with or not) are still in place and still protect us, as citizens. It is not like it is a hidden right… it’s the FIRST AMENDMENT. For those of you who may need a refresher, the first amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” Bam.

On the other hand, playing devil’s advocate, there may be parts of the story that we are missing. Did Tomi sign a contract with TheBlaze stating that all outside interviews and public speakings would not conflict with the standpoints of TheBlaze? Did Tomi agree to uphold the views of TheBlaze regardless of her own personal opinions? While making someone sign away a right is also, again, absurd; I would understand TheBlaze’s course of action to maintain the reputation of the show.

With all stories, there are two sides. As time goes on and the lawsuit progresses, I am certain more information will come forward but as it stands right now Tomi should not have been fired for a personal opinion … in my opinion, which I’m allowed to have… because it’s a constitutional right. *rolls eyes…again*

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.