Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Picking a college can be tough, and coming to terms with the fact that the college you finally decided on, might not be your best fit, can be even tougher. If you find yourself disliking your classes, not wanting to get involved on campus, or simply feeling extremely out of place, it’s time to consider transferring. However, this can definitely be a nerve racking, high-risk decision. If you’re possibly considering switching schools, make sure to consider the following tips! 

1. Weigh The Pros And Cons 

As with most decisions, this is one with pros and cons. It’s important to examine both sides of the situation before deciding what the best more for you will be. The most effective way to do this is by making as actual, physical list of the benifits and drawbacks of switching schools. It’s very helpful to be able to visually see both sides of the conflict. If one side of your list is much more full than the other, it can help you to see what the best decision is for you. 

2. Visit The School And Talk To Current Students 

Even if you’ve been to the school before, maybe to visit friends or to attend a football game, it’s still important to schedule a campus visit. You may have a totally different view of the school when in the frame of mind of a visitor, than you would looking at it as a perspective student. Take a day, or even a weekend, to explore the campus, the buildings and the classrooms, and get the feel for the place. Sometimes, you just know if you belong somewhere, and conversely, you might just know if you don’t belong. It may seem a little awkward, but try to talk to some students while you’re there. Ask them what they love about the school and why they chose it. Try especially to talk to those who were transfer students themselves; ask them why they decided to transfer, and if the new school has been a good fit. 

3. Consider Your Credits 

An important question to ask when considering changing schools is, “will my credits transfer?” Especially if you’re more than just a semester or two into your studies, this could be a make or break deciding factor. Even though you’re not happy at your current school, you didn’t work hard and earn good grades, just to have them mean nothing. If the school you want to transfer to will not accept a majority of your credits, you might want to consider somewhere else. You didn’t work hard just to have to spend that time and money all over again at the different location. 

4. Where To Live  

When moving to a new school, it’s important to consider all of the potential living options: dorms, on-campus, off-campus, apartment, house, etc. At least for the very beginning, we suggest not living alone. Having a roommate who knows there way around can be very helpful. While on you campus tour (see number two), be sure to ask about all possible living situations. You tour guide should know all of the on-campus options, and will probably be able to tell you about some of the common off-campus locations as well. If you tell them what you’re looking for in a living situation, he or she may even be able to offer you a suggestion as to where they think you would best fit! 

5. Get Involved 

The best way to get adjusted to a new school is by getting involved! Join a club or organization, try out for the band or school play or even go Greek. All of these are great ways to get involved, meet people, and have a great time! Who knows, maybe your new school will have a Her Campus chapter. Have faith in yourself, Collegiette, and don’t be afraid to follow your dreams, wherever they may lead you! HCXO 

Thanks to Collegiette, alumna, former Campus Celebrity, and transfer student extraordinar Alexandra Sebestyen for some of the great tips! 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Lexie is a senior communication major at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, specializing in public relations, advertising and social media. She has coined herself as a monogram enthusiast, an unapologetic cat fanatic and a passionate feminist. Lexie started the Her Campus chapter at her school in hopes to leave behind something special to the place that has given her so much. She believes in the power of the written word, a timeless handbag and practicing reckless optimism. To feed her social media addiction, follow her on Twitter and Instagram @leckseepelchen