This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s that time of year again, Collegiettes, it’s fall! With the leaves changing, the air crisping, and pumpkin spice everything consuming our souls; fall really is the best season. Personally, I prefer to call it tartan season. Yes, the festive plaid that you can now find on every product Target has to offer should, or rather must, be a staple in every Collegiette’s closet. With its versatility and style, it functions as both a statement piece and a staple piece. Tartan is like leather, it’s just flattering (trust me).

I have been on Team Tartan for years now, and over that time, I have acquired many, many, many articles for my wardrobe. So, rather than lecturing on why we should all be wearing tartan every day of every week for the rest of our lives (I don’t believe in seasonal closets), I’m going to show you. Below is every piece of tartan clothing I own, on my body, at the same time. Superfluous or super fabulous? You decide. 

Now that we’ve got a handle on our emotions—obviously that picture was exciting—let’s break it down, starting with the shoes. These shoes embody everything I love about fashion: pointed toe, neutral color, bows, and tartan. By themselves, they can serve as the statement piece of your outfit, or wear them as a subtle accessory that accentuates another piece. 

These pants are everything I was searching for on my quest for all things tartan. BONUS: they are super soft, super comfortable, and super affordable (thanks Old Navy). With the cream base, I consider these pants to be neutral, and they can really be paired with anything. Usually I like to pair them with a black sweater, classic heels, and a little bit of attitude (okay, who are we kidding- a lot of attitiude!).

My very first article of tartan clothing was this sweater, so it has a special place in my heart and closet. While I originally thought that this piece was an investment that I would save for special occasions, I wear it often, maybe more often than I probably should (but then again, there’s no such thing as too much something fabulous, am I right?). My favorite way to wear this sweater is with a leather skirt and maroon tights—the bolder the better.

At this point in the year it’s too hot for a coat, but too cool without. Enter: vests. Aside from being the perfect fix for the weather conundrum that is fall, vests give us a way to accessorize by wearing something other than jewelry.  Unlike the rest of the tartan pieces in my closet, this pattern uses only dark colors—specifically, navy, green, and black—that allow it to match just about everything. For instance, pairing the vest with a navy elbow-patch sweater and riding boots is just one way to rock it.

As of the past year or two, blanket scarves are in. Since there really is no wrong way to wear a blanket scarf, it has quickly become the easiest part of getting dressed before an 8am class. Whether it’s over a crewneck sweatshirt or a merino sweater, you really can’t go wrong.

Last, but most certainly not least, a tartan bow is my final way to dress for fall. Since no lady likes having her back-in-style-side-bangs falling in her eyes every day, bows are the way to go. As far as I’m concerned, there is no such thing as too much tartan. Luckily for us, fall has just begun, so get shopping and start stocking, Collegiettes!

As a senior biology major, Taylor is a self-proclaimed feminist with a passion for commas, donuts, and her dog.