Professor Erin Dick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

I got the opportunity to interview one of my favorite professors at Behrend, Erin Dick. Not only does she discuss iinteresting topics in the English classroom, but she also adds touches of humor as well. Before her class I felt like writing was boring and something I didn’t do well. I now truly enjoy to write and the two classes I had with her helped me improve immensely. If you have the opportunity to take one of her classes, I would strongly recommend it. Without further ado, let the interview begin.

Job Title: Lecturer in English

Hometown: Erie, PA

Degrees:

Bachelor in English Literature

Masters in English

What made you decide you want to be a teacher?

Well, actually it’s an interesting route. When I was a freshman in college I thought I wanted to own my own business. So, I started taking business courses and I just absolutely failed at everything, I hated everything! And I always loved english, I took all the AP classes in highschool. So, I always excelled at it. I started taking more english classes in college, loved It! After I earned my bachelors degree I became a counselor for a behavioral center and I taught a course of 12 students who all had behavior issues. I had to teach them social skills, behavior modification, all that stuff. I found out I really loved it and loved the older group, so I went back for my masters and started teaching colleges.

Do you have a favorite class that you teach at Behrend and why?

Well, you were in one of my favorite classes, American Literature. There is a lot of energy in that class. I usually teach the freshman demographic. So I teach the incoming undergraduate courses. In American Lit I get to have the upperclassman! Second comes English 15, it’s my baby.

What’s the hardest part of teaching?

Well, teaching english is difficult because I’m just reading essays constantly, I’m getting essay after essay after essay! So, just the workload and trying to navigate, just like you guys are as students. Trying to read through all those essays with a fresh mind, I think that is the challenging part for me. But I love being creative and being able to create things and modify them. I think this time of the semester [the end] is the challenge, just trying to get through that last round of papers. I usually have about a little less than 100 students, so I get a new essay every week.

What is one of your biggest dreams in life?

I don’t know if it’s necessarily career focused, I want to raise my kids right and have a long successful career at Behrend. Nothing really to extravagant.

How many kids do you have?

I have two. One is a freshman at Behrend and the other a 12 year old 6th grader. They are actually my step-children, but they live with me full time.  

Do you have any advice for college students?

Explore options! Don’t always think you know what you want to do right away. Take as many different kinds of courses as you can! That’s what I’m telling my daughter now!

Thank you for the wonderful interview Professor Dick! HCXO

Image Credit: 1

Senior at Penn State Behrend Studying Secondary Education in Mathematics  Full time dog mom and taco lover. I love long walks through target and the smell of new purses.
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.