yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

When you think of Halloween, you think of horror movies, costumes, pumpkin carvings, and trick or treating. However, Halloween, just like all other major holidays have been highly commercialized in today’s day in age, so what is the true origin and start of Halloween. Halloween was started by both the Pagan and Christian religions and their celebrations. Paganism is a religion where followers believe in multiple gods, and Christianity is a religion where followers believe in one God. Along with that Halloween has originated in Roman and Celtic cultures. 

(https://www.tumblr.com/search/freddy%20krueger%20costume

The tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. November 1st was coined as all saints day in the 8th century, following the day before was named All Hallows’ Eve known today as Halloween. All saints day was a day that was designed to be a day to honor all of the saints. Very soon after the day was created it, it started to incorporate some ideas of the Samhain celebration. The Samhain celebration was the day before the Celts believed to be the end of the summer and the beginning of the cold winter. On this day, high they believed to be the day before the new year the boundary that kept the dead and the living separate would become less strong and become blurred. October 31st was believed to be the day that the dead could return to earth. This was said to bring damage to crops but also allow Druid and Celtic priests to make better predictions of the future with the energy present from the dead that is not on. Earth during this day. This celebration was commemorated but the druids by burning of crops and animals for sacrifice with giant sacred bonfires. During these celebrations, costumes have been known to wear costumes mostly consisting of animal skins and heads. 

(http://lasix-furosemideforsale.blogspot.com/2016/11/halloween-lights-tumblr.html

When the Roman Empire conquered Celtic territory, Roman festivals were incorporated into these celebrations including Pomona which is a celebration, with the goddess of fruit and trees represents by the apple, which is where we can get the idea of bobbing for apples during the fall. 

Halloween in America was brought originally and celebrated in mostly more southern areas since the dominant religion of New England being protistan. They started in America as parties for neighbors to share stories of the death of loved ones and celebrate the harvest. In the 1800’s there was a push towards Halloween being more of a holiday that is about community and less about pranks horror and witchcraft.

Tiffany Zinn

PS Behrend

Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry