This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

The second semester of my sophomore year I knew that things were going to change. Junior year was fast approaching and that meant some of my closest friends, my family at school, would be transferring to University Park for the 2+2 program. I had known this impending fact since I was a freshman, but despite the reality of it, I would choose to consistently push it to the back of my mind.

Now as a junior, there is absolutely no more pretending that my friends weren’t going to leave, mainly because they already had. I told myself that it would be alright at first and would only get stranger as time went on – but soon realized I was wrong again. From the moment our group reconnected after summer ended something was off, and we all knew it. Day one there was a noticeable change, like something was missing but there was nothing we could do about it. I know that I can be a bit more sentimental than your average person, but seeing that everyone else was feeling the same way really drove in the fact that we are who is left. No longer could I walk over to my friend’s dorm room when I wanted to talk or even watch “V for Vendetta”. Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore all the friends I have at Behrend and all the fun we have together, but this year is just a really big change.

Going to UP was something I had thought about but was never really in the cards for me. I’ve thought about transferring multiple times and sometimes I even regret not doing so, but at the end of the day I know that I made the right decision. Currently I am a member of ISO, a writer for The Beacon, Alpha Sigma Alpha’s PR Chair, a RA, and also the Campus Correspondent/ President of Her Campus. I have had so many wonderful opportunities at Behrend and have become so involved that I know it would not be the same if I had decided to transfer to UP. For what I am trying to do and accomplish, Behrend ended up being the best decision for me. This past summer I had a remote internship with Global Glam Magazine and was even published on their website. When being interviewed, the editor had numerous questions about my work for Her Campus and my upcoming position as president – which had seemed like a selling point to me. If I had transferred sure, I would still be writing for Her Campus, but there is no way I would be able to be president. Sure I could have made some great contributions to UP’s chapter, but would I really be able to do as much there, holding no positions, than I can do for my own wonderful chapter? I think the answer is more than clear.

I guess what I am getting at is if you decide to transfer, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Yes, I felt heartbroken when my friends transferred, and still do, but at the end of the day I know what I did was right for me. Also, if you do/did have friends who transferred or if YOU transferred, keep in touch with those who did not. Skype, text, call, send smoke signals, even buy tickets to go see Kanye as a way to go visit – don’t lose important relationships just because there is a little more distance in-between. I may not get to see some of my friends everyday anymore, but at the same time that just makes me appreciate our friendships even more. Hold close to those who have transferred and move forward into the new chapter of your time at Behrend with those who are still here.

Photo Credit: 1

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.