Drugs In The Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

When you are looking at drugs and how they influence our society you hear about something different every day. There is usually a local drug bust, or something in the media talking about somebody overdosing in Hollywood. The most recent thing that was shown would be the death of Mac Miller. There is an upcoming death anniversary of the goth-rap star, Lil Peep, who I personally love and always admired as an artist. Peep passed away from Xanax laced with fentanyl. Another person that we heard about this summer was Demi Lovato, but she was one of the lucky ones that made it out alive because she had people around her that were there to help her. She is now in rehab again recovering from her drug addiction. You never know what is going to be in the drugs you buy; drug dealers can lace anything, even  marijuana.

The thing that makes me the most upset is how drugs are portrayed in the media. When someone from Hollywood passes away from a drug overdose, everyone feels sorry for them and sends out their sympathy. Most people don’t look down upon these people, however, when you look at people in your own community and how they have overdosed, everyone looks at them as though they are nothing, and that they “did it to themselves.” I feel as though the Drug Epidemic is a huge thing happening all over the world right now, and especially in the United States.

We need to take the time to realize that this is a huge crisis, and nothing is going to be done if we can’t help one another out. We need to be able to recognize the signs that someone is struggling. We need to be able to recognize the hurt that they are all feeling. Everyone, whether they are a celebrity or not, can struggle with mental illnesses that affect their lives on a daily basis. People are having the urge to try a drugs for the first time that, without their knowledge, is being laced. Drug dealers are looking to save more money and they don’t care who they are hurting as long as they are getting their money for it. We need to do a better job as a community, and as a country to get the Drug Epidemic under control and start helping those who really need support and someone who cares.

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx