This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

If crafting was a major, I’d have a PhD. For those of you who know me, I absolutely LOVE to craft. I think I spend more time crafting and looking up things to craft than actually sleeping or eating. My upward spiral of crafting started right before coming to college when I decided I wanted to decorate my room but not spend an arm and a leg on Target’s latest (and cutest) dorm decor.

Thus, started my newfound, long-term relationship with Pinterest – a crafter’s very best friend. Having an apartment this year has sent my crafting craze into overdrive and with the new fall season fast approaching, my “Tis the Season” Pinterest board is overflowing with cute ideas to decorate my new apartment.

As many of you fellow crafters know, crafting isn’t always a cheap hobby to partake in. There are some crafts that require a bit more moola than others, but in most cases there is always a cheaper (maybe even cuter) alternative.  With all the knowledge I have gained from the Pinterest masters themselves, I would like to share with you the best ways to craft the cutest items without breaking the bank.

1. First and foremost, do your research! Look up tips and tricks on making the craft before going out and buying things that you might not need (which is usually the case).

2. Look at multiple stores for the best price. My go-to is always AC Moore or Walmart. I often find Michael’s to be a bit more expensive (unless you are a coupon queen).

3. Upcycle. If your craft calls for many different facets, look around and see if that random bouncy ball or penny that is lying around can be used instead of buying something new! Add a little paint and some sparkles, and good as new! Or even use a pencil for dots instead of buying a new brush!

4. A little goes a LONG way. You don’t need to use an entire bottle of paint on one project, Don’t pour more than a quarter size of paint or glue at a time and really make sure to press the brush so that all the paint gets used.

5. Save up. So you found the CUTEST fall wreath to put on your door and you aren’t willing to substitute or subtract things from it. What do you do? Save up! Set aside money for that special, big craft or buy the pieces overtime.

6. Save scraps. I always find myself with a surplus of cardstock, construction paper, and paint but the best part is; I barely ever have to replenish that stock! Save up so when the time comes to craft, you have them!

7. Be a Coupon Queen. The best way to save money on crafts is to stock up on those coupons. Hit the newspapers and magazines and grab as many coupons as you can.

8. Search the web. Instead of buying stencils for $6 at Walmart, make a word document of the letters you need, in whichever font you please, and print and cut! Do the same with patterns and outlines of things you need.

9. Pay with cash or set a limit. If you are anything like me, you walk into AC Moore or Walmart for one thing and leave with seven new craft ideas and the items to make them – which leaves a dent in the wallet. Paying with cash or setting a limit leaves you with very little room to overspend!

Being an avid, and slightly obsessive crafter has definitely taken a chunk out of my spending, but with these tips and tricks I have saved A LOT of money without cutting back on my crafting! Even if you have the money to spare, saving a couple extra bucks to get the venti iced coffee or the cutest new romper is always good.

Photo credits: 1 2 3 4

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.