This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

This week’s profile is a dedicated student, free-spirit, grade-A friend, and passionate THON-er. Today, we are thrilled to feature Colleen Miller!

Major: Biology- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Hometown: Louisville, OH

Year: Senior

Relationship Status: Single

When and how did you get involved with THON?

“I started really getting involved when I was a junior. I was just a general member, but I tried to be as involved as I could. After last year I applied to be on the Executive Board and was accepted into the Special Events chair position. I was in charge of planning all the major events this year like the THON Seawolves game, the 5k, and 24 FAC.”

What has been you best experience with THON thus far?

“It’s so hard to pick just one, but I would say last year at THON, during the 43rd hour, a Four Diamonds family came onto the stage and (the mother) said ‘THON is my son, Daniel, not knowing why he’s on stage, but knowing that there’s no other college to attend after high school than Penn State. THON is my son, Daniel, being able to stand here next to me. Without you, this would not be possible.’ When I heard that I burst into tears; to see that little boy so happy and confused on stage standing, it made all the long hours worth it. She had mentioned that he only had a 44% chance of survival and now he has finished treatment. Words can’t describe how great it feels to know that you made that impact on someone.”

Why did you choose to get involved with THON?

“There are a lot of reasons why I chose to start getting involved. Coming back to school my junior year was really hard, having just lost my Dad to cancer two weeks before school started. So I decided that getting involved with THON would really help me deal with that really emotional time by helping people who were dealing with similar things. Also I believe every child should have the chance to strive for their dreams.”

How did it feel to be selected to dance this year at THON?

“Being selected as a dancer meant the world to me because I am so excited to be able to provide hope and encourage these kids and families and celebrate their triumphs with them.”

Since you’re graduating this spring, do you have any plans for after?

“I do! I was recently accepted into Pharmacy school at Northwestern University so I will be working towards my PharmD.”

What made you want to go to Pharmacy school?

“I really liked how a pharmacist is really accessible to patients. Like a person can go down the street and get a professional opinion on their medicine. I just found that really amazing. I always said I wanted to be there to answer questions when patients need answers.”

If you could give any advice to your freshman-self what would it be?

“I would say to try and get more involved in my major and seek out opportunities in it, like Sigma Xi or research.” 

To keep up with Colleen, follow her on:

Twitter: @colleen_cj

Instagram: colleen_cj

As a senior biology major, Taylor is a self-proclaimed feminist with a passion for commas, donuts, and her dog.