Breaking the Behrend Ratio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

What is Behrend infamous for? We do have a spectacular engineering program and a very diverse group of students. Yet, what makes Behrend standout is our ratio.  You know it is the real deal when urban dictionary has the term “The Behrend Ratio” in it.

Over the years, the guys have dominated the campus and the ladies appeared to be jut a blimp on the radar.  Recently, women have been making a more prominent stance at Behrend (talk about girl power!). We are slowly but surely evening out the ratio. However, there are still everyday gender struggles for women.  We are constantly competing with themen in classes and in organizations.  That sure sounds like an uphill battle to me.  

Nothing grinds my gears more than hearing a guy tell me that the only reason I received a spot in an exclusive organization is because i’m a girl.  No, I received my spot because my qualifications exceed the organization’s expectations. I am more than capable of gaining enterence into an organization based on my intelligence and involvement within the community. The biggest insult you could give me would be to congratulate me for being a girl.

So guys, word of advice, don’t accredit the ladies for having a ‘v’ as their only reason for success. If you lose to a girl, just accept that your qualifications may not be up to par. Big deal. If that is your main concern, well then we need to reevaluate ourselves.  

Ladies, I know sometimes it a challenge going to a school where we are swarmed by males, and at timed, it can be intimidating, but that should not hinder us.  You could definitely say that women at Behrend do not wast time resting on our laurels.  Instead, we are busy busting our behinds to make a name for ourselves here.  With that in mind, there should be no bashing of successes and claiming it’s due to gender.

Essentially, there should be no gender bashing, ever.  Let’s accredit our successes to our capabilities.  We are all worth more than our gender. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Marissa Knox

PS Behrend

~Fashionista who drinks so much coffee that she can be a barista.~ Communication Major Marketing Minor PSU '17 Vice President of Community Relations for Alpha Sigma Tau