sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Is America Really Running Out of White Claws?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

A major problem that many people 21+ are experiencing right now is the White Claw shortage that is happening. There is nothing worse than going into the beer distributor to have them tell you, “sorry, we do not have any White Claws, but we do have Trulys.” I will be the first to say it…. Trulys are not even close to being on the same level as White Claws.

Towards the end of summer, the talk about White Claw having a “shortage” began, and it has continued into September, and will probably continue for the next few months according to reliable sources. According to CNN statistics, White Claws sales grew 283% and profited $327.7 million in July. Although there are many competitors out there now, White Claw accounted for 55% of all hard seltzer sales for the week of July 4th this year. That is INSANE! White Claw sales account for over half of hard seltzers sales compared to Truly, Press, Wild Basin, and all the other hard seltzers out there now-a-days that I cannot keep track of. 

So the question is, what are all the White Claw lovers (including myself) going to do if we can’t enjoy our favorite drink when out with friends on a Friday night? The simple solution that most people initially suggest is to just resort to Trulys, or even the new hype recently, Natty Light Seltzers. I personally am not a fan of either of these seltzers, and I am sure that a lot of other avid White Claw drinkers could agree. Trulys do not have enough flavor or sweetness to them, and Natty Light Seltzers just leave a weird taste in your mouth. 

My own personal solution that I have found to this is resorting to Wild Basin Hard Seltzers. Now initially, when I saw the flavors of these seltzers I was like, “ew,” but once I gave them a chance, I loved them! The flavors that are offered in the variety pack are classic lime (which is my favorite), cucumber peach, lemon agave hibiscus, and melon basil. 

Although we all wish White Claw could just mass produce more seltzers, it is not that simple. Sanjiv Gajiwala, who is the Senior Vice President of Marketing at White Claw stated that he hopes to keep their suppliers and distributors in stock the best that they can until they can return to their safety stock. In order to keep their distributors happy, White Claw is working around the clock to increase supply considering the insane amount of demand right now. So, all we can do now is say a prayer and hope that White Claw can mass distribute to beer distributors and grocery stores across the country ASAP!

Statistics: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/business/white-claw-shortage-trnd/index.html

Images: 

https://www.canarchy.beer/press/oskar-blues-brewery-introduces-first-national-craft-hard-seltzer-with-wild-basin-boozy-sparkling-water/

https://makeameme.org/meme/got-anymore-of-e19886d7a9

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/1/20750262/white-claw-video-trevor-wallace-bros-and-spiked-seltzer-bitch-beer

Lauren Barr

PS Behrend '21

Hey everyone! I'm Lauren, and I am a Campus Correspondent and the Vice President of Her Campus PS Behrend. I am a Junior Finance major with an Applied Economics minor, currently studying towards receiving my Certificate in Financial Planning. When I'm not busy calculating stock prices and all other things Finance, I enjoy writing and posting articles that interest me through Her Campus. When I have time off from school, I love to travel and explore new places. I also am a sucker for any and all dogs, but especially my own, Harley and Cooper! Thanks for visiting my page and I hope you enjoy my articles.    
Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry