This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

About a week ago, my friend and I decided to drive to take a spontaneous trip because it was nice outside. We ended up in Ohio somehow, and remembered that Ohio’s Aldi’s sells alcohol. When I say they sell alcohol, I mean it’s super cheap. When we got there, we couldn’t believe the selection they had. They had knockoff White claws for $6, and knockoff Angry Orchards for $9. You really couldn’t beat the prices, especially with the wines and the cheapest one was $3! We bought 2 bottles of wine, a case of “White Claws” and “Angry Orchard” and went on our way. Here’s my review on how good they were!

Photo courtesy of Food Network Kitchen

The first one we tried was called “Wicked Grove” which is comparable to an Angry Orchard, which is a hard cider. The taste was almost identical to an Angry Orchard but had a bit more of an alcohol taste compared to our friend “Angry Orchard.” Overall, I would rate it a solid 7/10.

Angry Orchard Hard Cider
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

The next alcohol we tried was the knockoff White Claws which were called “Vista Bay.” Honestly, I got the black cherry ones and they were almost IDENTICAL to the taste of a White Claw. The only thing that was different is that they weren’t flavored as much as a White Claw typically is. Overall, I would rate these as a solid 8.5/10.

Lastly, we had to get some cheap wine. We paid $3 each for our own bottles. The wine was actually amazing for $3. I mean, with college students you can’t really tell a difference in wine anyway because all we care about is price! I had the Pinot Grigio, which was really good. It wasn’t too dry and it wasn’t too sweet. Overall, I would rate the wine a solid 9/10.

valentine wine
Luke Southern via Unsplash

Going on this spontaneous trip really didn’t end in a bust at all. The alcohol was decent and it was at such a low price that you can’t beat. I would definitely make the trip back to Ohio to get more from Aldi!

Ciara Boyle

PS Behrend '21

Psychology major with an LER minor! i love my dog more than anything<3
Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry