12 Ways To Spot a Racist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

1. Racist Jokes

Telling an insensitive racist joke is one thing… RACIST. That’s it. You’re racist if you do it.

Source

2. “I’m Not Racist But,”

*Starts a rant about an entire race because of maybe ONE person*

3. Or Follows A Statement With “…But I’m Not Racist.”

But you are if you have to say that you’re not…

4. “I Have A Colored Friend, and He/She Doesn‘t Tell Me Anything About It or Care.”

Newsflash, they probably don’t say anything because they’re uncomfortable. Don’t say it, especially if you’re not apart of the race.

Source

5. “I Don’t Hate ___ (Insert Race), But I Hate When They…”

*Proceeds to say some random ignorant stereotypical comment that their 98-year-old grandma embedded into their mother’s mind and eventually embedded into their evil spawn’s aka the racist’s mind*

Source

6. They Defend Blatant Racists, Because of Their “Awesome Characteristics”

“Everyone has good qualities if you dig deeply enough. A pedophile probably takes good care of his dog. Nazis loved music and the arts (as long as it was Wagner or Beethoven). Jeffrey Dahmer may have been an exceptional cook. The President likes greasy, heart-killing hamburgers. Most go to church.”

The Creative Cafe

7. If You Get Offended By News/Media Coverage of Colin Kaepernick

If you don’t understand this reason or you get offended by this image, you probably will never understand what it feels like to be racially targeted.

8. If You Think White Privilege is A Lie Created By Minorities

Source

9. If You Think 9/11 Is A Good Enough Reason To Be Afraid of ALL Middle Eastern People

It’s not.

10. “Go Back To Mexico (Africa, India, Egypt, Hawaii in some cases … etc.)”

This is just not a low blow, but it just shows just how ignorant a person can be. Obviously, the USA is made up of beautiful people of every color and even the people from America are still descendants of people from… guess where ;) DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

11. If you do not think that President Trump is even the slightest bit racist 

12. If you got mad or offended by reading this article.

The purpose of this article is to remind everyone of a lesson your mother’s probably taught you (or tried to) when you were like 5 years old: If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it at all.

On a real note though, if you have been racially profiled or verbally assaulted, make a report it to a professor RIGHT AWAY and contact the Student Affairs office at your school and go to the office of Equity and Diversity. Talking about it is the only way we can put a halt to this ignorance.

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx