10 Ways to Eat Thanksgiving Leftovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

The air is getting crisp and the leaves are slowly starting to disappear from the trees.  Sooner than you know it, the fall favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte will disappear from the menu to be replaced by Holiday drinks.

Why is it that everyone skips over the holy grail of a food lovers’ holiday- THANKSGIVING. We eat until we’re in pain, take a break, and keep going. It’s the holiday to be spent with family, football, and copious amounts of food. What else could be better?

Aside from the glorious day itself, we can relish the delicious leftovers for days to come.  Here are 10 different ways to eat Thanksgiving dinner at any time of the day. So, get your eating pants on and get ready for the cherished food-coma to proceed.

Breakfast

1.    Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

This is a twist on stuffing you’ll be sure to love. It has the breakfast essentials: eggs and sausage. Plus, they’re made in little bite size pieces so you can have as many as your heart desires.

2.    Pumpkin Waffle Thanksgiving Leftover Breakfast Sandwich

This is the ultimate breakfast sandwich. It requires a little more effort than the other breakfast choice, but c’mon who doesn’t love waffles? I’m sure Leslie Knope would be all over this recipe. On top of the waffle, is layered with all the Thanksgiving essentials- topped with an egg.

Appetizers

3.    Second Day Fried Stuffing Bites with Cranberry Pesto Sauce

Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and when paired with the cranberry pesto, this appetizer has a tangy, sweet zing. Anything deep-fried is delicious, so why not give this one a try!

4.    Stuffing Wrapped in Bacon Appetizers

A Thanksgiving recipe with BACON?! Talk about a food lover’s dream. Use leftover stuffing, wrap with bacon, and bake! Try this simple and tasty treat while relaxing with family and friends.

Lunch

5.    Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Pizza

Along with a recipe with bacon, how can you resist a pizza with all the leftover Thanksgiving necessities? It calls for a homemade pizza crust, however, if you’re feeling extra lazy it can be replaced with a store bought crust #lifehacks.

6.    Turkey, Cranberry and Fontina Panini

A twist on the classic day-after Thanksgiving turkey sandwich. This is to be made in a pan, like grilled cheese- but it is anything like a typical grilled cheese. This sandwich has layers of exploding flavors.

7.    The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftover Muffins

This muffin is oozing with savory gravy, turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. A full Thanksgiving meal packed into a muffin. Top it with gravy or cranberry sauce for the ultimate experience #heavybreathing. 

8.    Mom’s Turkey Soup

There had to be at least one classic recipe in this list. This recipe shows you how to make homemade turkey stock that can be started right after dinner if you’re planning ahead. This fresh, homemade soup will surely warm you up on a cold, autumn evening.

Dinner

9.    Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole

This dish has all the thanksgiving leftovers (even the vegetables) in one convenient dish. Instead of warming everything up individually (which you’ll probably just mix together on your plate anyway), put it all in a pan and bake. The whole family will love this.

10. Turkey Pot Pie

Here is another dish that combines every aspect of thanksgiving dinner in one dish. This recipe is almost entirely homemade- only leftover turkey is used. However, this dish can be used with or without leftovers, so you can enjoy this anytime of the year.

So this year, when you and your family are planning your Thanksgiving dinner, make sure to buy enough food for leftovers. These dishes are so delicious that you’ll want to gobble gobble them down- Happy Thanksgiving! 

Erica Nowak

PS Behrend

Erica is a Senior Communication major at Penn State Behrend. When she isn’t lifting weights, you can find her in the campus radio station, most likely playing Modest Mouse. She is addicted to black coffee and traveling. Elaine Benes is her spirit animal. Twitter & Instagram @eno_fosho