The Woman Who Does it All With Determination and Grace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Drew Barrymore has had an outstanding career in Hollywood and has been a favorite for many for decades. She recently started her own show known as The Drew Barrymore Show. As stated in USA Today, “Her unguardedness and verve are key ingredients of her show.” With Barrymore’s gregarious and eccentric personality, she welcomes each guest with open arms and adds her own twist to her new show. The guests that Barrymore has been welcoming are mostly close friends such as Reese Witherspoon who appeared in the opening premiere and Adam Sandler. Her show is light-hearted and comical, different from anything she has ever done before. Also said in USA Today, “Drew Barrymore is like everybody’s best friend. Or maybe that cool aunt,” bringing to light her charm and ability to make many meaningful connections. This day time series is on air on Mondays and includes celebrity interviews, giveaways, and games. 

There are many underlying reasons for Barrymore wanting to try something new, and give this show a shot even if the odds were not in her favor. She saw this show as an opportunity and started filming after the last episode of the show she was previously on, Santa Clara Diet. She entered a competitive and crowded daytime slot with Ellen Degenerous and Dr. Phil airing around the same time of day. As said by Barrymore, “it was important to challenge herself and ‘turn every obstacle into opportunities,’ which meant adapting the show for the COVID-19 era.” Her drive and vision are what made this show happen and adapt to the current atmosphere. She strives to be her most authentic self and show off every aspect of her life because she has nothing to hide. As said by CNN, “One thing we want to say on this show is I am who you think I am, I struggle, I fail and I think one of the most important things I want to teach my own kids and myself as I grow with them is that change is so important — change in the world, change in yourself. I am a self-examiner and I’ve never pretended to be anyone I’m not.” This statement made by Barrymore speaks to her genuinity, and determination to put meaning behind everything that she does. She saw this show as serving a purpose and followed her instincts. 

The beauty of Barrymore is her ability to acknowledge the work the individuals do behind the scenes. She never specifically has called the show hers, rather she claims that the show is everyones. She sees herself as being a member of a team, and lets the people around her know that they play just as an important role as her. She frequently claims how lucky she is to have this opportunity and how she is appreciative for those in her life who have pushed her. Said by Barrymore, “It’s crazy, I’ve never felt more humble and grateful in my entire life than I do right now to be alive, to have two kids that are healthy, to be amongst this crew and this team and getting this opportunity,’ she said. ‘I don’t know how I ended up here, but I’ll never lose sight and I never have lost sight of how lucky I am.” She is a woman with a goal of making others around her happy, and looking at the bright side of every aspect of life. Her ability to follow through with her goal despite the current pandemic is admirable and speaks to her character.

Grace is a Sophomore at Providence College, studying Finance. She has always enjoyed writing in her free time and reading books especially mystery and romance novels. Also in her free time she loves spending time with friends, staying active, and going on adventures.