Why Trader Joe’s is My New Favorite Grocery Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

I went to Trader Joes for the first time and it was… life changing. 

For 21 years of my life, I grew up hearing about Trader Joe’s, but never really having an interest in going. I had always gone to shop rite with my family, and felt no need to go outside of my comfort zone. In my town, Trader Joe’s was located on the highway, and the parking lot was always so crowded and seemed like such a big hassle. I now know why.

I walked in without many expectations, but immediately realized what I didn’t know I was missing my whole life. 

First off, the look of the place is so different. The shelves don’t go all the way up to the ceiling, and everything made me feel like I was in a tiki party. There are also cute advertisements that made me laugh. 

What really got me were the different amount of products available. They all sounded excellent, and I had a tough time picking out what I wanted. The pastas, snacks, desserts- everything looked so amazing Who knew that many nut butters existed? I think I stared at the section for 10 minutes, unsure of how to proceed. At this time, I decided it would be best to ask an employee for assistance. Turns out, the employee was the nicest person ever and wanted to make sure I got the best product that I could. After doing some research, I now know that Trader Joe’s has amazing employee benefits, which leads to a happier work life for the employees. I can ensure that I did not meet a single mean person while there. 

Then I get to the checkout and the real party starts. The cashier takes the cart behind the register, while I get to relax. After nicely bagging all my groceries, the nice man gives me my total, and after completing my payment, the whole register makes a lovely hawaiian sound, which is much nicer than the normal aggressive beeping that a credit card machine typically screams out. (Also everything is cheap, which I love). I have never left a grocery store happier. 

I think I am officially a converted Trader Joe’s Lover. 10/10 would recommend.