Why Ghost Files is the Perfect Fall Show for you to Watch!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

It’s finally here! The moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived. The show of the season, Ghost Files is here!

A little backstory for you guys, in 2016 Ryan Bergara created a little web series on Youtube called Buzzfeed Unsolved with a friend and co-host Shane Madej. It featured the two of them examining unexplained mysteries. They traveled to allegedly haunted places to try to catch evidence. It quickly shot to internet fame for the dynamic between the two hosts, Ryan is a firm believer in the paranormal and Shane is a set skeptic. 

The show had a very successful run for five years, but in 2021 Ryan and Shane left Buzzfeed to focus on their own content. Their entertainment company, Watcher, has been up and running for about two years with various shows., with two of my favorites being Puppet History and Too Many Spirits (a show where they get drunk and read ghost stories). But none of them have been as anticipated as Ghost Files

Now, why am I so passionate about getting you to watch this show you may ask? There are many reasons that I will break down for you now. 

1. I am a bit of a hypocrite — I’m someone who loves horror but also gets scared very easily. For me, Ghost Files really hits that sweet medium of horror and comedy so that I can get my frights in and still go to bed afterward. 
  2. It’s coming out right in time for the spooky season! Its atmosphere is unbeatable when it comes to Halloween vibes. 
  3. It has something for all people, whether you are an avid horror fan, a history buff, genuinely interested in the paranormal or just looking for some great laughs!
  4. The hosts themselves have such compelling personalities, and I love any show that features a strong, healthy friendship. 
  5. There has been so much genuine hard work put into this series and supporting it helps a small business out. 

The first episode shows them heading to Waverly Hills Sanitorium, a supposedly haunted hospital. They use various gadgets to try and help them catch a ghost, such as a spirit box and multiple motion capture cameras. They take evidence sent in from the audience and try and do their best to recreate it. They travel the Sanitorium going from paranormal hot spot to hot spot doing their best to get a response from ghosts. The episodes usually end with each of them doing a solo investigation. 

Now here are a couple of fun running gags that usually happen during the show:

1. The boys will hear an unexplained noise, Ryan will freak out and Shane will be adamant that it was just the wind. 
  2. Shane is quite a bit taller than Ryan and there are usually at least a few jokes about that at his expense. 
  3. They will occasionally reach out to the viewers who they have nicknamed Shaniacs for non-believers and Boogaras for believers.
  4. Shane will usually try to provoke the ghosts by asking them to harm him or Ryan in some way, sometimes even asking them to kill them.
  5. They believe that they are the best ghost hunters to ever exist and are not shy about saying so. 
  6. During his solo investigation, Shane will purposely mess with Ryan to try and get him extra scared.  

Now I’m not going to spoil what they catch this time, you will just have to watch and see for yourself!

Kelly McGonigle

Providence '26

Kelly is a freshman at Providence College. She enjoys pop culture, being in nature and reading a good book.