Style > Beauty

The Dirty Truth Behind Your Shimmering Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

As I stroll down the aisle of Sephora, I mindlessly toss products into my basket. However, what if I were to take a closer look at the ingredients of the products I am buying? I know when I purchase from SHEIN or H&M, I am contributing to the fast fashion, but have I considered the implications of purchasing makeup products without thinking about the source of their ingredients? It is easy to shift the responsibility to companies for ethical sourcing, but I often skip this reflection and head straight to checkout.

If I were to examine the label of my MAC highlighter in my Sephora bag, I would notice an ingredient called “mica.” This ingredient provides the shimmer in highlighters, but the dirty truth behind mica is that majority of the world’s supply comes from India, where children are known to be involved in its mining. According to SOMO, it is estimated that 22,000 children work in mica mines in Jharkhand and Bihar for a meager wage of around fifty rupees per day (equivalent to less than seventy cents), while the global market price for mica stands at approximately $1,400 per kilogram. Amidst such exploitative conditions, there are staggering heart-breaking accounts of children as young as five suffering from unimaginable injuries in the mines.

What are the ethical implications of buying a product that contains mica?

While mica itself is not inherently unethical in cosmetics, the complex process of sourcing mica raises concerns. Transparency is lacking in the industry, making it hard for consumers to know where their mica comes from. This is where corporate social responsibility (CSR) comes in. CSR refers to a company’s responsibility to operate sustainably while upholding high ethical standards. By prioritizing CSR, companies can ensure that their sourcing practices are transparent. Numerous articles emphasize the accountability of companies in ensuring ethical practices throughout their supply chains, instead of focusing on the consumers to make more conscious purchasing decisions.

Lush Cosmetics has set an industry precedent with their vocal stance on the ethical sourcing of mica. In 2018, Lush made the decision to transition from natural to synthetic mica due to the inability to ensure full transparency in their supply chain. This proactive measure demonstrates Lush’s commitment to ethical sourcing practices and holds them up as a model for other companies in the beauty industry.

But, what about consumer responsibility?

While businesses have an obligation to inform consumers about the sourcing of their ingredients, to what extent should consumers be responsible for ensuring the ethical sourcing of ingredients in the products they purchase?

I propose a new perspective on the issue of ethical sourcing, which focuses on the critical role that consumers play in prioritizing responsible sourcing practices. Consumers have the power to influence businesses by encouraging them to prioritize sourcing their ingredients ethically. The success of consumer-driven movements, such as the cruelty-free and vegan beauty movement, demonstrates the potential for consumers to drive change towards more ethical practices.

What can consumers do to combat this issue?

To combat the issue of unethical mica sourcing in beauty products, consumers can take small steps to catalyze change in the industry. Here are some actions consumers can take:  

1. Check the ingredients list. Natural Mica is typically listed as Mica, Potassium Aluminum Silicate, or CI 77019, while synthetic mica is listed as Synthetic Mica or Synthetic Fluorphlogopite.
  2. Ask brands where they source their ingredients. If a brand does not publicly disclose this information, consumers can send an email or make a call to the brand’s representatives.
  3. Support organizations that are working to change this issue. One such organization is Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA).

While it is true that progress has been made to end child labor in mica mining, such as the establishment of the Responsible Mica Initiative in 2017, there is still work to be done. Consumers must take action to contribute to positive change in the industry and advocate for responsible and ethical practices.

I am not suggesting that you should scour through each one of your products to check for mica and dispose of them. Instead, consider the brands and products that you are endorsing. By questioning the origins of ingredients and selecting items that have been verified as ethically sourced, you are actively promoting a more sustainable world. So, next time at Sephora, I know that I will think twice about the products that I take to check-out.

Emily Kim

Providence '26

Emily Kim is a freshman undeclared student at Providence College. Her go-to pastime is to re-watching her favorite movies (The Dark Knight, Inception, Spirited Away) and taking pictures. Her favorite album is the folklore album by Taylor Swift and her favorite song on the album is "mirrorball."