The Return of Van Gogh: Street Scene in Montmartre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings have been a centerpiece in the art world capturing the eyes of an audience for centuries. Recently revealed, one of Van Gogh’s paintings has been hidden in a private collection for over 100 years. This piece was captured by a French collector in the 1920s, and has never been seen by the public since. This painting “Street scene in Montmartre” was painted in 1887, a few years before Van Gogh’s death. Claimed in CNN, this painting illustrates, “Parisians walking through a rural and sparse landscape in Montmartre, a historic district which today is one of the city’s most popular destinations.” This brand new piece is going on public display before it is expected to go on sale in Paris on March 25th for 5 to 8 million euros. Said in a statement by Claudia Mercier and Fabien Mirabaud, Parisian auction house, “The moment we set eyes on this painting for the first time we were immediately captivated. It is with great pleasure that we can now present this to the world, after being treasured by the same French family for a century.” This treasure caught the eye of the public immediately after it was put on display. The painting provides a peek into 19th century Montmartre, illustrating a hilltop that overlooks the capital. Now, the painting bears little resemblance to what this street actually looks like, but it realistically portrayed a district that was popular among the Partisans. This painting is part of a series known as Moulin de la Galette, a focus for Van Gogh a few years before his death. Mentioned to CNN by Aurelie Vandevoorde and Etienne Hellman, directors of the Impressionist and Modern Art department at Sotheby’s France, “Very few paintings from Van Gogh’s Montmartre Period remain in private hands, with most of the series now held in prestigious museum collections around the world.” This discovery will forever be remembered as creating a ripple effect in the art world.

Van Gogh’s talent has lived on and is admired around the world for its breathtaking beauty. Van Gogh started painting in 1880 with no formal experience. He struggled with mental illness throughout his life and his art acted as a form of therapy for him. Van Gogh was inspired by impressionist artists when he moved to Paris midway through his life. One of his biggest influencers was Anton Mauve who introduced him to watercolors and oils. This can be seen in one of van Gogh’s earliest pieces, “Still Life With Cabbage and Clogs.” He dedicated his life to painting, producing more than 2,100 pieces. When Van Gogh was young, he worked as an art dealer who was often traveling. He produced his first drawings at his parents’ home in the Netherlands. Eventually, he took up residence in The Hague which was a productive time where he focused on his paintings of landscapes. The days leading up to Van Gogh’s death were some of the most productive. His paintings were recognized widely after his death and they proceed to be an inspiration to many today.

Grace is a Sophomore at Providence College, studying Finance. She has always enjoyed writing in her free time and reading books especially mystery and romance novels. Also in her free time she loves spending time with friends, staying active, and going on adventures.