This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Everyone has something that they are extremely passionate about. My thing just so happens to be Broadway musicals. I saw the Lion King when I was 7 and since than I have become absolutely hooked. I have musical posters, t-shirts, mugs, and even signed memorabilia. My passion for musicals is to deep, that it is the kind of thing you avoid talking about on a first date as to not scare the guy away. I have waited at stage doors for hours waiting to meet Broadway stars and I almost weep when I do. So in conclusion, I love musicals, A LOT.

Now unless you live under a rock I assume you have heard of the musical phenomenon Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda (swoon). I have known all the lyrics since the cast album came out. My roommates are ready to kill me. It is fresh, new, and almost impossible to get tickets to. Unless, of course you are dating my boyfriend Matt, which of course you aren’t, because I am. Back in June, he came through with the impossible and got us tickets. Nine months later, our Hamilton baby was born.

All week I would have a small mental break down anytime someone mentioned I would be seeing Hamilton. It was embarrassing but totally necessary. Our day started with dinner at The Bar Room in NYC. My best friend works there and it came highly recommended, while I was writing this article Tiffany Trump was enjoying brunch there. Anyway it was great 10/10 recommend.

Fast forward to the end of the show and I was truly impressed. The show is everything that people say it is and more. It takes history and places it into a medium that people today can relate to and actually wish to hear. A cabinet meeting done in the style of a rap-battle? Amazing. I actually know what happened in history instead of my high-school history teacher quietly mumbling in front of a class room. For people who doubt the genius that is Lin-Manuel Miranda, I am telling you just listen to the Hamilton album (or his other work, In the Heights) and you will finally understand what all the fuss is about.After tons of great food, and even better drinks we headed to Times Square. When it was time for the show, I realized exactly what was going to happen. I was about to sit in the Richard Rogers theatre, and watch a musical which I have been waiting forever to see. It took everything in me not to freak out while waiting in line to see the show. I actually hit my boyfriend several times with an umbrella because I was so excited it started to come out as violence. We sat in the theatre and I could not stop smiling, the people sitting around us for sure thought there was something wrong with me. As soon as the show started, I began lip-synching along and did not stop until the curtain fell.

While I understand that Broadway is an expensive habit, I encourage everyone to see some type of theatre in the life. Great local shows are always happening, tours come to major cities (including Hamilton) and most Broadway shows have lotteries where you can enter to win tickets at a major discount. Always let theatre into your life, and open up to new things.

Meg. 22. Musicals & Avoiding Resposiblity.