How to ShamROCK and Roll This St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

March is back, and it’s been a year since COVID-19 put the world into lockdown. Last St. Patrick’s Day was squandered by the pandemic, but this year doesn’t have to be the same. We are all still facing the coronavirus, but over the past year, we have learned a lot of tips and tricks on how to stay safe while still having a good time with those close to you. Here are some things you can try to make the most of your St. Patrick’s Day this year.

1. Decorate Your Dorm Room

The best way to get in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit is to decorate your room! Stop by the Dollar Tree to get some nice (and affordable) decorations to brighten up your space. Now that it’s midterm season, your room may seem like a drab place to be. Adding some simple holiday decorations is a great way to bring some joy back into your dorm.

2. Order Yourself a Shamrock Shake or Frappuccino

One of the highlights of this time of year is the holiday drinks available. You can either head to McDonald’s (or DoorDash it) to get their infamous Shamrock Shake or get the Shamrock Frappuccino from Starbucks. If you want to get creative, you could even try to make one yourself. The ingredients are simple and online recipes say it only takes 5 minutes to make!

3. Watch Some St. Patrick’s Day Movies

Get into the Irish spirit by watching some of your favorite St. Patrick’s Day movies. One of my favorites is Disney’s The Luck of the Irish. No matter how old you get, you’ll always enjoy that film. Some other good options for the holiday could be Brooklyn, or the iconic the Wind That Shakes the Barley. 

4. Have an Irish Dance-off

You may not be able to go out this year, but that doesn’t have to stop you from dancing with your friends. Get the pod together and turn up the Irish jams. Hold a competition to see who has the best moves, or try to learn an Irish Step dance together. Either way, you and your friends are sure to have a fun time.  

5. Search for Four-Leaf Clovers

Spring is on its way and the days have already begun to heat up. Test your luck and see if you can find any four-leaf clovers on campus. Who knows? Maybe it might just help you pass that exam you’ve been cramming for.

6. Learn how to say Something in Irish Gaelic

This is a great opportunity to learn a phrase or two in Irish Gaelic. You and your friends can find something funny to say and laugh as you struggle to learn how to pronounce it. It could become a hilarious inside joke later or a secret code that only you guys will understand. To start you off, try saying, “Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste” (pronounced: Iss faar Gay-el-geh brish-teh naw Bay-er-lah clish-teh), which means “broken Irish is better than clever English.”

7. Decorate Shamrock Cookies

You and your friends can either bake the cookies or buy some to decorate, but either way, it should be a tasty way to spend your St. Patrick’s Day. You can decorate these cookies like a traditional shamrock, or you can put your own spin on them. You could even hold a competition to see who decorated their treat the best.  

8. Read Irish Poetry

Read some Irish poetry or even come up with your own! You can find some of the most famous Irish poems easily just by searching on Google. If you wanted, you and your friends could try to come up with your own Limericks and see how hard it is to follow the style. It will be a little challenging, but think of all the laughs you could have as you try!  

9. Wear Something Green

Don’t forget to wear some Green on St. Patrick’s Day! It is the holiday’s signature color, and it will put everyone in a festive mood. Seeing everyone in green is a great way to bring some joy to the Friartown community. It may even bring you some good luck.  

10. Have a Nice Irish Themed Spa Night

Even if you are having a quiet night, you should take the time to unwind from this hectic part of the semester. Have a St. Patrick’s Day spa night. Gather your pod and put on some green facemasks and do your nails with some festive holiday designs. If you’re craving something sweet, grab a batch of chocolate coins to munch on too.

Samantha Dietel

Providence '23

Samantha Dietel is a senior Psychology and Elementary/Special Ed double major and is co-president of the Providence chapter of HC. She loves to stay involved on campus and is a choreographer for Dance Club, participates in Active Minds, PAWS, and is a member of the Psi Chi honor society. As a local near Providence, she enjoys guiding her friends around the city and showing them what it has to offer. Samantha also enjoys reading, spending time with friends, and a good binge-watch.
Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.