How to Cure Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Homesickness can be devastating to your college experience if it is left untreated. Here you’ll find the most effective cures for this horrible disease.

1. Bake your mom’s famous cookies

Maybe your mom is more famous for her brownies than her cookies. Either way, ask your mom what her recipe is and bake a batch for you and your roommates to share. If you don’t have an oven,  campus ministry has a kitchen that is open to everyone!

2. Light a candle that smells like home

If your mom (or dad) uses candles to keep the house smelling homey, order their go to candle in light it while you do homework or relax. If your family doesn’t have a specific candle, give Homesick candles a try

3.Watch a movie or television show that reminds you of home

Last semester this worked like a charm! When I was younger my mom would sometimes let me stay up late and watch Gilmore girls with her. When I watch Gilmore girls and I instantly feel like I’m back at home on my couch watching TV with my mom :)

4. Wash your sheets

Odds are you’ve been kind of busy the last few weeks in your sheets could use a good wash anyway. This method comes highly recommended by my roommate. Go and buy the same detergent that you use at home and wash your sheets.  You’ll be reminded of home as you drift asleep.

5. Call/Facetime your family

Finally the best way to cure homesickness is by talking to the people who make your house a home. Pick up the phone give them a call! I bet they miss you too.

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.