Getting to Know Sophia Clarkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Hometown: Fairfield, CT

Major: History and Secondary Education

Class Year: 2019

Q: What was it like growing up in John Mayer’s hometown (Fairfield, CT)?

A: Uhm for starters, everyone’s graduation caption was and is “I want to run through the halls of my high school, I want to scream at the top of my lungs”. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. I also live within five miles of two Lily stores and own no Lily. Just not my vibe, I’m more of a T-shirt and jeans kind of girl. 

Q: What things from home do you miss while you’re at school?

A: CODY! My  family an my potatoes pups named Cody. I miss being able to drive to the beach and having a meal with my friends. Its a common hangout because there are three public beaches in my town.

Q: What made you interested in History?

A: I had some really awesome history teachers who made it really interesting. I was really fascinated by the cause and effects relationship, how everything leads to something else. But I think the root of it was my two history teachers who made me really passionate about history. 

Q: What has been your favorite experience at PC?

A: I gotta say either Habitat for Humanity or the Lighthouse Retreat. They were two trips where I not only grew as a person but I also made new and unexpected friendships there that have lasted. Because of those experiences I was able to make a lot of good memories with the greatest people.

Q:What piece of advice would you give to your freshman self?

A: You don’t have to have it all figured out. Everything will work out the way its meant to. You will find your place, you will figure things out, and you will be okay. It may take some time, but it will happen.

Q: If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be?

A: I would be either a dog or a lion! They both have traits that I like, dogs are just always so cheerful and loving of life. Also, lions are fierce! I am fiercely protective over the people I love and so are lions.

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.