Lawnparties: The Music Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Alright. It’s finally the last week of school, which means only one thing: Lawnparties! And to celebrate, we have… Wiz Khalifa and Big K.R.I.T. 

Okay, so now that we’ve reached this point, I have a feeling that you’ve been falling behind in your Big K.R.I.T. and Wiz Khalifa studies. Well, you’ve only got a few days to cram as much music as possible, so here’s a cheat sheet to help you out.

First off is the starting act: Big K.R.I.T.

For those of you not big in the Rap scene or the Dirty South, Big K.R.I.T. is a rapper born and raised in Mississippi, which he loves to call the “3rd Coast.” He was signed by G-Unit in 2005 and since then has produced 9 mixtapes and albums. His 9th one, ReturnOf4Eva, was just recently released. His music gets pretty hyped up, a great way I think to start up lawn parties.

If you want to get a quick since of him and what you might hear at Lawn Parties, these are my top 10 guesses:

1. Country S.
2. Time Machine
3. Shake It
4. American Rapstar
5. Rotation
6. Dreamin’
7. Rise and Shine
8. See Me On Top
9. Viktorious
10. Just Touched Down

Most of these songs are just hype-up music with awesome beats. A few of them are kind of like slow songs, like ‘Shake It,’ and ‘Dreamin’ so I think I’ve got the full spectrum. The first 7 are from his newest mixtape, but the last 3 are from his last album K.R.I.T. Wuz Here. These are pretty good songs, and now I’m pretty excited about Big K.R.I.T. at Lawnparties.

Now on to the main act:

Wiz Khalifa just recently released a new album Rolling Papers. The majority of the album is actually pretty mellow. However, I’ve found a few songs that would probably be good to know for Lawnparties.

Songs you MUST know: Black and Yellow, No Sleep, and Roll Up. These are the most exciting of his songs, meaning they have the most exciting beats. These were also the top three singles off of his album, and so I’m pretty sure it is expected that everyone know these. You don’t know them. I don’t either, so we can cram together.

Songs you MIGHT need to know: On My Level (feat. Too $hort), The Race, Get your S***, and Fly Solo. These are not so well known, but these songs are pretty good. They’re all about being on top and partying, so I figure these are pretty good shot for Lawnparties. The exception is Get Your S***, which is about a break-up. This song is not really that mellow, either, but its one of the better songs on the album.

Songs you MIGHT NOT need to know, but I like anyway: When I’m Gone, Rooftops, and CamerasWhen I’m Gone song is actually a surprisingly deep ‘ballad’ with a pretty mellow beat. Rooftops is about being on top and looking back on their path to fame. Cameras (which comes after Rooftops in the album) is about living the life on top. Overall, these are pretty good songs, so if nothing else, at least give them a shot. They may be in Lawnparties, but, hey, they’re good songs.

Please keep in mind that there will be some cussing and inappropriateness in these songs, but hopefully you won’t find them offensive.

So, good luck cramming, and most importantly, have fun! And feel free to let us know if you think I left any good songs off the list.

P.S. If you never knew why the colors are “Black and Yellow”, it’s because the city of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; all of its sports teams share these colors. So now you know.

Image Credits to: OMG, Music!