Kadi Fit – Design YOUR Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

In preparation for this HCP Summer Slimdown blog, I searched for a local gym in North Carolina to start my fitness journey. I expected to be stuck with a regular (read: boring) gym filled with treadmills and weights. What I found instead was Katie Dixon’s KadiFit, a new “Lifestyle Design” studio. Through her group fitness classes and inspirational attitude, Katie taught me that health isn’t just about dieting or working out, but it’s a lifestyle mentality.

Moreover, her story about how she found her passion is an important story to hear. I think it’s especially important for students like us who are exploring our passions; perhaps even in the face of those who are telling us how we should live our lives.

Here are some of her thoughts on her philosophy!

You call KadiFit a “Lifestyle Design Studio”. Would you mind explaining to our readers what that means?

Have you ever felt like you were just renting your life? Like so much of the decisions you make are based on how you should act or feel? It’s time to OWN your life. At kadi, we believe that if fitness is a foundation in your day, the rest of your life will change dramatically…and you’ll begin to make bolder exciting decisions. 

Other than fitness, we are all constantly inspired by the arts and culture around us. At kadi we bring events that will entice the inner creativity and passions you have. With classes and events on nutrition and healthy lifestyle, live music, art crawls, etc., we are constantly bringing inspiration for people looking to be visionaries.

What was your inspiration for opening KadiFit?

Growing up, dance was my greatest passion. I always knew that I wanted to open a dance studio, but felt like I didn’t have the perfect “technique” or extraordinary background to be a traditional dance school. So, after college I did what was expected and got a desk job. I worked in Human Resources for 4 years, and enjoyed it, but it wasn’t doing what I LOVED. I began teaching Zumba and realized I could teach dance for the pure fun, and fitness of it. So, I took a leap of faith, quit my job, simplified my life, and opened a “fitness” studio. The more people came, the more I recognized how much I loved the inspirational factor of everything… and thus, it transformed into “lifestyle design.” 

What advice would you give to college students about getting and staying in shape? 

Do what you love! When I was in college I would go, get on the elliptical, lift a few weights and HATE it. If you don’t love it, you won’t be motivated to do it, or even do it WITH ALL YOU GOT. If you love what you’re doing, it’s not work, and you’ll forget that you’re sweating… or love that you’re sweating.

One of the things I love most about your Kardio class is that you end each class with an inspirational reflection. Would you mind leaving us with some motivational thoughts?

I graduated and went into the “real world” thinking I had to get a desk job, settle down, and raise a family in a two-story house with a white picket fence. I truly learned a GREAT amount of knowledge about running a business while I was at the desk job, and am really glad I have that experience. But, never sacrifice what you LOVE with what you feel you SHOULD be doing. I gave up the salary, the nicer house, and extra stuff to be able to open the studio, and I wouldn’t trade it back for the world!

Tori Rinker is a sophomore from Charlotte, NC (Lake Norman area if you're familiar with North Carolina geography). As a southern girl she enjoys sweet tea, front porches, and peaches. She is an intended Molecular Biology major and hopes to pursue a certificate in Values and Public Life. She is looking forward to her first collaboration with HerCampus with the HerCampus Princeton Summer Slimdown Challenge!