Carla: I’m Cheating on My Diet

At first, I found the summer slimdown challenge a little daunting (Have you seen the Fitocracy group we have going? You haven’t? Well, what are you waiting for? Join us!)

Now, just as I have become used to the city, I have gotten accustomed to a healthier lifestyle too. This month, I joined a gym and started bringing my lunch, and even with those small adjustments I am already beginning to feel healthier–and it helps that I have already lost a couple pounds too!

However, I can’t shake the feeling that I might be cheating (just a teeny tiny bit) at this fitness challenge.

A lot of the points I log on Fitocracy (seriously, I’m obsessed) are just from my commute to and from work—blame the subway stairs and long blocks. 

And my diet? 

I wish I could tell you that I have magically developed incredible self-discipline but, in reality, my diet’s only gotten healthier because a bag of spinach costs $1.99 at Trader Joe’s….but the Korean tacos food truck parks outside of my office every day.

I’m planning to make more of an effort towards reaching my fitness goal of being healthier. I have joined a gym and I hope to take advantage of the free classes there (Zumba, anyone?) as well as the machines (the rowing machine and I are already friends). Additionally, I’ve begun using my Pear mobile training intelligence system—review coming soon— to help me run so I can see the city and exercise at the same time.

So, without further ado, let me lay out my plan for the week—

Monday: Run 5 miles (hopefully outdoors if the weather cooperates!) with a personalized workout from Pear Sports

Tuesday: Try Zumba—why not?

Wednesday: Row 4500m

Thursday: Stairmaster for 30 minutes

Friday: Yoga

I’ll check in on Friday to see if I was able to meet all of my goals!

Follow me on Fitocracy if you want more constant updates. And if knowing every time I hit the gym isn’t enough, I’ll tweet and blog too.

Happy first week of fitness, friends!

Carla is a junior from Knoxville, Tennessee. When she's not blogging for Her Campus, she is also the USG Social Chair, a Prince writer and an RCA in Whitman College. This summer, she brings you her fitness adventures from her new home-away-from-home-away-from-home, Brooklyn.