Carla: I’m Cheating on My Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

At first, I found the summer slimdown challenge a little daunting (Have you seen the Fitocracy group we have going? You haven’t? Well, what are you waiting for? Join us!)

Now, just as I have become used to the city, I have gotten accustomed to a healthier lifestyle too. This month, I joined a gym and started bringing my lunch, and even with those small adjustments I am already beginning to feel healthier–and it helps that I have already lost a couple pounds too!

However, I can’t shake the feeling that I might be cheating (just a teeny tiny bit) at this fitness challenge.

A lot of the points I log on Fitocracy (seriously, I’m obsessed) are just from my commute to and from work—blame the subway stairs and long blocks. 

And my diet? 

I wish I could tell you that I have magically developed incredible self-discipline but, in reality, my diet’s only gotten healthier because a bag of spinach costs $1.99 at Trader Joe’s….but the Korean tacos food truck parks outside of my office every day.

I’m planning to make more of an effort towards reaching my fitness goal of being healthier. I have joined a gym and I hope to take advantage of the free classes there (Zumba, anyone?) as well as the machines (the rowing machine and I are already friends). Additionally, I’ve begun using my Pear mobile training intelligence system—review coming soon— to help me run so I can see the city and exercise at the same time.

So, without further ado, let me lay out my plan for the week—

Monday: Run 5 miles (hopefully outdoors if the weather cooperates!) with a personalized workout from Pear Sports

Tuesday: Try Zumba—why not?

Wednesday: Row 4500m

Thursday: Stairmaster for 30 minutes

Friday: Yoga

I’ll check in on Friday to see if I was able to meet all of my goals!

Follow me on Fitocracy if you want more constant updates. And if knowing every time I hit the gym isn’t enough, I’ll tweet and blog too.

Happy first week of fitness, friends!

Carla is a junior from Knoxville, Tennessee. When she's not blogging for Her Campus, she is also the USG Social Chair, a Prince writer and an RCA in Whitman College. This summer, she brings you her fitness adventures from her new home-away-from-home-away-from-home, Brooklyn.
Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.