This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

In high school, I was always on a team of some sort: cross-country, winter track, spring track. Not only did my involvement in sports provide me with a structured, consistent exercise regimen, but I also found a second family in my teammates. However, upon arriving at Princeton, I was without both: motivation and support. Running can be a lonely sport, and for the first few weeks, I struggled to stay active simply because there no longer seemed to be a reason to.

As the weeks passed, I got used to running my own each morning. I found that I enjoyed the time alone each day to blow off stress and get lost in my own thoughts. The transition from high school to college was rough, but when I was running, I could simply forget about reading assignments, problem sets, and internship applications and just put one foot in front of the other. Moreover, I used my runs as a chance to explore Princeton. Without them, I’d never have found the Whole Earth Center or seen the Roman-like Revolutionary War monument on Mercer Street.
That’s not to say I haven’t taken advantage of my new surroundings to try some new forms of exercise. There’s a reason why I run: because I lack coordination necessary for anything else. However, I realized that sometimes it’s about having fun rather than avoiding embarrassment! Since then, I’ve found some other ways to stay active on campus:

1.     IMs and club sports: Ever heard of wallyball or broomball? I hadn’t before forming IM teams with my zee group. Sure, I was spiked in the head by a volleyball, but it was all in good fun! And I got to bond with my hallmates in a competitive setting as well.

2.     Free USG sponsored classes: I didn’t have access to a gym at home, and was surprised to hear about so many different classes one can take! Confession: I hate the treadmill, so I knew I’d have to find some other apparatus if I intended on working out inside. A friend and I tried spin for the first time last semester, and I intend to venture to a BodyPump class once they resume. Plus, working out with a class at the same time every day provides some much-needed incentive and structure.

3.     Campus 5k’s: Although there’s a dead period in the winter, these races always bring out my competitive side and let me know where I am fitness-wise. They are usually for a good cause as well!

4.     The OA climbing wall: If I ever need a good upper body workout, this is the place to go.

5.     Walking to class: This in itself is a workout!

Catherine Ku is a soon-to-be sophomore at Princeton University and lover of running, books, and food, in no particular order. 
Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.