Who’s Who at Sochi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

I don’t know about you, but my favorite way to take a study break this past week has been watching the winter Olympics. So much has happened this past week, lots of success and heart break, and I figured it would be great to get a quick update on Team USA!

1.       Charlie White & Meryl Davis- This dynamic duo has been stealing the show in the Ice Dance competitions. They placed first in Team Ice Dance Free Dance, which solidified USA’s bronze medal in Team Figure Skating. They will be performing in a few days in Ice Dance Short Dance and I’m really hoping they win! They are also completely adorable so that’s always a plus!

2.       Joss Christensen/Gus Kenworthy/Nicholas Goepper- These three boys killed the Men’s Ski Slopestyle last night. They swept the competition for the USA in this completion and it was absolutely amazing see the tricks they could do while skiing backwards up a ramp and flipping off it (not even kidding). They are all pretty cute too, so you can’t go wrong there!

3.       Kaitlyn Farrington- She scored the USA a gold medal in the Ladies Halfpipe a few days ago and completely rocked it! From qualifiers, to semifinals, to the final round she kept getting better and finished strong!

4.       Sage Kotsenburg- Sage kicked off the Olympics with a great start winning USA its first gold of the games! He did a stellar job in the competition and much like Kaitlyn Farrington, just got better with each round! He’s a great one to keep an eye on, especially after Shaun White made us all sad with his bum run.

There is still so much fun to come with these winter Olympics! I can’t wait to see what unfolds and how the USA does compared to the rest of the world! Don’t you just love the Olympics? Happy watching!

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.