The Uniform of a Portland Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Have you ever noticed how much your wardrobe has changed since you’ve started college? There have been days were my outfit was created just because I saw another student rocking a similar outift. We get a sense of what’s fashionable based on what the people around us wear. As a student on a really small campus I’ve noticed that we’ve all adopted a very similar “uniform”.

1. Slouchy Beanie

Maybe it’s actually cold enough to wear a beanie and maybe you just haven’t washed your hair in a few days (been there). 

2. Glasses

Tortoiseshell glasses: a slouchy beanie’s best friend. It’s possible that we all need corrective lenses  but do we really? 

3. Collarbone Tattoo

Collarbone tattoos are dainty as hell. And they look super cute with flowy tops. Your parents might or might not know that you have the tattoo. And you might or might not have used some of their money to pay for the tattoo. 

4. Vintage Band T-Shirt…

In a effort to look super vintage you bought this shirt from an online retailer (cough cough Forever 21). Ironic, no? Also it’s a genius way to broadcast your incredible taste in music. 

5. …tucked under a Jean Jacket or a Baggy Sweater

Bonus points if you got the sweater from a thrift shop. Bonus points if you have buttons pinned to your jean jacket. 

6. Leggings

Okay this piece of clothing is just smart. No dress code no pants. 

7. Ironic Socks…

How else would people know that you like pizza, cats, space, funny curse words, etc.?

8. … worn with Birkenstocks

Comfort, granola aesthetic, and a way to show off your ironic socks for the “low” price of 100 dollars. Textbooks or Birkenstocks? I pick birks. 

9. Herschel Backpack

Your textbooks might combust if you put them in a bag that’s not Herschel brand. Trust me. 

10. Rose Gold Jewelry 

Rose gold highlights, rose gold watch, rose gold nails, rose gold fridge, rose gold cars, rose gold children. If it’s not rose gold then I DON’T WANT IT. ROSE GOLD. 

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.