Motivation for the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As we reach the end of the fall 2013 semester, it can be hard to concentrate on our studies. Our focus lays in the anticipation before the holidays arrive. We focus on our ‘lasts’ before friends study abroad next semester. It means that our graduation date is moving closer. Our minds are occupied with so many things, how on earth can we focus on finals, let alone homework?

First and foremost, we are students. We must not forget that this is the reason why we are here. Being a student is our job and takes first priority. We have made it this far in our studies, so why stop? All the hard work we have done has gotten us to where we are now.

“Staying motivated is like running a marathon,” said Amanda Ewing, a senior social work major at the University of Portland. “You’ve already been out there for 23 miles. And it would be lame to just quit. So you just have to muster every inch of energy you have to finish strong.”

If the studying and homework become too overbearing, take a break. This does not mean to stop working altogether or to procrastinate further. However, go on a walk, have a have a dance party, or make some coffee. Need a laugh and some encouragement? Read this and then get back to your studies:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/13-simple-steps-to-get-you-through-a-rough-day

Sometimes our brains can get stuck in one place, so by taking a break we can help relax and distress our body. We can regroup our thoughts and become refocused.

Also, try switching up study spots such as the second floor in the library, an empty classroom, or a local coffee shop.

“I like to switch up my environment,” said Ewing, “and if I get in a slump I bring multiple things to do.”

Staying motivated with papers and projects can be tedious, but hang in there and stay positive! You are not alone in your stress and the work you do will pay off. 

Dorothy Olszyk is a communication studies major at the University of Portland. Her interests are journalism and graphic design. She is from Eugene, OR and she loves her hometown artist Mat Kearney. What Dorothy loves about Portland is the PB&J cart on NW 23rd  St. and the 90's dances at the Crystal Ballroom.  
I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.