Meet PJ Marcello ’13!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Meet senior PJ Marcello: Organizational Communication Studies major, Portland Winterhawks intern, Beacon reporter and Commons worker. With credentials like that, it’s no wonder he made it as University of Portland’s first Fall 2012 Campus Cutie!

Name: PJ Marcello
Year: Senior 2013
Major: Organizational Communication Studies

What makes you “Campus Cutie” worthy?
I think if any reason I’m on here it’s because I like to be personable and outgoing with a lot of people, and I like to smile and meet as many people as I can. So if that makes me cute, that’s awesome. (Said with a smile)

What would you say women like about you the most?
Oh, where do I start? I think most girls like my sense of humor. Most of the time. Not all the time. And I like to think of myself as a nice guy. Some girls really like that. Others not so much.

And the least?
I think one of the things is that I like to change my appearance a lot into really goofy looks; like, I mess around with my facial hair a lot, sometimes I’ll have my hair short, and sometimes I’ll grow my hair long. My style is having no style, so I think that it can be like a weak point for me.

You said you think of yourself as a nice guy. Do you agree “nice guys finish last?”
No, no. I think if you’re too nice you might. I mean, like, you got to be yourself. You can’t just be a “yes man” all the time.

Halloween’s coming up. What was your favorite costume as a kid?
I got to be Paul Bunyan one year, and my mom put Vaseline on my face and put coffee grounds over it, and that was my first beard. My face smelled like coffee for a really long time after that.

If a bartender named a drink after you, what would it be called?
The “Pajama-Wama.” Pajama obviously relates to my name but also it’s going to be a real cozy drink. You know, one that you can just sit in your pajamas and drink.

Describe your perfect woman.
She’s got to have a great sense of humor or at least think I’m funny. She has to like sports in some way or enjoy being active. Oh, and intelligence. She’s got to be someone I can talk to. Someone smarter than me, that’s the rule. One of us has to be smart and it’s not going to be me.

What song would describe you?
“Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta” by Geto Boys. I like to replace the word “gangsta” with my name in the song.

What does PJ stand for?
Depending on who you ask. It could stand for Pimp Juice, Phelipe Jerard or Peanut Justifer. But if you were to ask my parents, it would be Paul Jordan.

Any parting words for the females at UP?
You’re a beautiful bunch. Feel free to say hello to me at the Commons anytime if I’m serving you eggs. Or even if I’m not.

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.