Meet Peter Knudsen ’14!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Peter Knudsen

Hometown: Parkridge, Illinois

Major/Minor: Environmental Engineering/Music         

Year: Senior ‘14

What’s your favorite thing about UP?

Probably the location. I love Portland a lot and I like that I can walk out of class and see beautiful nature around me and see Portland down below off the bluff. I think the location makes it very conducive for learning.

What do you want to do after graduation?

Well, I should probably find a job like my professors say, but I kind of want to explore the world. I would like to see more of the West, probably by backpacking through it. Maybe Idaho or Montana or down to Patagonia. Wherever the wind blows. I want to explore and get out there before I get old.

If you could have one super power, what would it be?

Hmm… this is a tough one! (After much deliberation) I would probably want to be unnaturally good at any skill or talent I wanted to acquire on a whim. For example, if I wanted to learn the banjo, I’d just be able to pick it up and be able to play.

What about women’s fashion confuses you?

Well, I think that girls should wear whatever they want to express themselves. But I don’t understand the need to pile excessive amounts of make up on. I think girls should be comfortable with themselves and work with what they have. Just be yourself!

What’s your idea of a perfect date?

First, I’d like to pack a picnic lunch, then hike somewhere cool and eat it. After that, maybe explore a little, jump in a river, or climb some rocks. Just have fun outdoors, you know? Later, if we aren’t too tired, we could go to a jazz club downtown and have drinks, and them maybe come home, drink some wine, listen to music, light some candles, roll some cigarettes, read some poetry and then see how the night goes from there!

Describe yourself in three words?

Eclectic, eccentric and spontaneous.

Hi! I'm Avery Aresu, a Junior English Major with a Fine Arts minor at the University of Portland. I'm a writer for the Portland chapter of HerCampus and I'm really excited to be part of the team this year. I'm originally from Auburn, WA, but being here in Portland for these past three years has made me fall in love with Oregon. I love nothing more than drawing and painting, and I spend my free time hanging out with friends and my boyfriend, learning new gluten-free recipes, reading classic literature, going on adventures, bouldering, archery, and going to concerts. Portland is the most wonderful place to be, and I'm excited to share more about it! :)