Meet Nick White ’14!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

What are your plans for the future?

My plans are pretty loose as of now but I know I’ll be in Portland after graduation. Hopefully I’ll be living on Alberta or Mississippi, frequenting the best eateries and bars in town and traveling frequently. I also have a job with an accounting firm that starts this upcoming August, so I guess I’ll have to work a little too.

Best college memory.

Wow, so many to choose from! I guess I’ll go with a recent one which is a trip I took with some friends to Vegas over fall break. We stayed a few nights at the MGM and conquered Vegas as best we could. Ultimately, Vegas got the best of us but it was a super fun trip with some amazing people.

Favorite place to go in Portland.

I really like Pioneer Square because there’s always something going on and it’s awesome being in the center of the city. Some other go-to spots are Saturday market, the Pearl District (Lovejoy bakers, Brix Tavern), 23rd (Red Onion, Papa Haydn) and Mississippi (Prost!, Bungalo, Bar Bar and Por que no?).

What has been the best advice you have ever received?

I had a coach in high school who said “Adversity causes some people to break and others to break records,” which I always thought was really cool. I think about it if I’m going through a tough time with something and try to put the most positive spin possible on difficult situations. I also have to give an honorable mention to a famous quote from my dad which is “If you’re going to get your duck wet, be sure to wear a raincoat.”

You studied abroad in Salzburg; tell us a little about your time there.

It was unbelievably awesome. I made so many lifelong friends and did some of the wildest things I’ve ever done with them. I learned a ton about myself during my time there and got to see soooo much. We had a ridiculous amount of time to travel and I made it to 20 countries in the 9 months I was in Europe. Also, some of my family got a chance to come over and visit during the winter and summer and it was really special to show them around Salzburg and travel around for a bit. I drank way too much beer, spent way too much money and would do it again in a heart beat. It was hands down the best decision I’ve made in college and would suggest it to anyone who wants a little adventure during their years in school.

I like places. I like people. I like stories; every place, and every person has a story. I want to write as many stories about that place and those people until the stories run dry. Which is...never. So I will continue to write. Please, tell me a story.